Cayenne Pepper

Started by OU812, September 22, 2009, 03:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Talking about grinding peppers reminded me of some Cayenne pepper i did this last weekend. Kids dont do this in the house. Started off with a couple peppers.

After 32 hr at 140 F it the dehydrator.

First made some crushed pepper, do this out side and were a respirator!

Then the ground pepper

This is makeing my eyes water just thinking about it, a little of each.

classicrockgriller

Geez....That hurts my eyes thru my monitor.
Think Ill buy my seasoning.

pensrock

I dry and grind many kinds of peppers. I always do it outside with a fan blowing at my back. It only takes once to learn.  ;D ;D

Hopefull Romantic

I am with CRG on this one

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

I bet its like getting hit in the face with mace.  :'(   
Mike

pensrock

I was looking at the pics again and was wondering if those are cayenne peppers? They actually look more like a seranno because they are so short. The shortest cayenne I have grown had to be 3-4" in legnth. just wondering.

Also most of the time I do not dehydrate cayennes because they are so thin skinned they can dry on their own. I normally pull the whole plant out, shake off the excess dirt and hang the plants in the shed and let them dry on their own. Thicked fleshed peppers I always dehydrate because its not dry enough weather wise to properly dry them. They will end up rotting if left hanging.

Your end result looks great!

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 22, 2009, 07:10:11 PM
Geez....That hurts my eyes thru my monitor.
Think Ill buy my seasoning.

Nothing wrong with that but this is less than half of whats still on the plant and the plant cost me $1.20 cant buy a small jar for that.
Whats my time worth?
Well i try to keep busy

Pens, the tag on the plant said cayenne, you never know some one could have switched the tags. I pulled these off cause I ran out and was makeing some stuff that needed some. The rest of the plant is still growing and I do the same thing at the end of the growing season, pull the plant and hang in the shed.

pensrock

OU812,
  Heres a pic of a few assorted peppers. The long skinny ones on the right are cayenne peppers. There are also NAGA's (upper left), Orange and one chocolate hab (lower left), devils tounge (upper center), Fresno (center), Thai (bottom center) I do not have any serrano pictures, but IMHO I really think that is what you have there, they are a really good pepper as well.

OU812

Pens you are the man when it comes to peppers thanks for the info

I have another plant that aint doing as good as this one I'll get a pict of that one and see what you think.

pensrock

Here are a couple of my hot hot hot pepper plants this year. Did I mention these are HOT?  :o
They are loaded with blossoms and have quite a few peppers on now, they are just starting to ripen. I started these Feb. 1st from seed.

Click pic to enlarge:

These little beauties would make a great ABT,  ;) ;D They are Bhut Joolkia(sp)?

And these are almost as hot, but then again when you get close to a milloin scoville units, whos counting?  ;D These are NAGA peppers.

squirtthecat

Holy crap..

Where are the HazMat warning signs and electrified fence??

Caribou

OU812,
Great job on the peppers...I feel your pain!  :D

Pens,
What beautiful colors on those peppers!
Carolyn

pensrock

Thanks Carolyn, you should see when I have a bunch in a big basket. Been to cool and damp here this year, the pepper yields are going to be low. But I have plenty from a year ago dried and ready to grind.  :)

classicrockgriller

What do you do with all of them?

Hopefull Romantic

Great looking peppers there pens.

After seeing yours I think I am going start my own.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.