• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cabela's smokehouse casings?

Started by watchdog56, September 23, 2009, 03:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Can someone explain to me the difference.

I did the snack stick kit and it had the collagen casings with it. It says to stuff the sausage into the casing and the casings are ready to use.

On the onion and garlic brat kit it comes with natural hog casings and that says to stuff the meat into the casings.

On the summer sausage kit it says to soak fibrous casings in water for 25-30 minutes and then stuff meat into casing.

I am assuming  the collagen and hog casings you can eat them but the fibrous you should not. Is this correct?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: watchdog56 on September 23, 2009, 03:03:04 PM

I am assuming  the collagen and hog casings you can eat them but the fibrous you should not. Is this correct?

Your assumption would be correct watchdog56.

Here's a link to an article on types of casings and using them. http://www.zachspice.com/uploads/CASING_FAQs.pdf
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Hawkeye has you pointed in the right direction. A fibrous casing is the brown casing on summer sausage that you peel off. For reference
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

On the brat kit from Cabela's it comes with hog casings and it says to stuff meat into casing. Does not say anything about soaking but on the link you provided it says to soak hog casings. Not sure what to do. I would think instructions on package would be good. Maybe Nep's will chime in with his(or her) experience with Cabela's.

HawkeyeSmokes

If it's a High Mountain kit from Cabelas, I think they need to be rinsed and soaked. Here's another link right from High Mountain. http://himtnjerky.com/hog-inst.html
HawkeyeSmokes

watchdog56

No it is Cabela's smokehouse brand.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: watchdog56 on September 23, 2009, 07:50:43 PM
No it is Cabela's smokehouse brand.

Are your hog casings vacuum sealed in a small amount of liquid?

Hog casings are usually packed in salt, because they will last indefinitely that way. These must be soaked or the sausage will be too salty, and the casings will be tough.

Also l've seen hog casings that are vacuum sealed (Gander Mt. used to have them), packed in a small amount of liquid and don't need refrigeration until opened. This type does not need to be soaked, but their shelf life is limited.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HawkeyeSmokes

Here is some info on salt packed and pre-flushed vacuum packed hog casings. It is from Allied-Kenco , a butcher supply house. I've used both types and do soak either one.

Hog Casings

Salted Casings: - For best results soak over night in cooler in water that starts out at 90º F (32.2ºC).

The fast soak: If in a hurry, follow these instructions but understand that you may not get maximum expansion capacity from the casing. Rushing the soaking process can result in the casing being sticky and they may not slide easily from the horn. This can result in breakage and sausage that is irregular in diameter or too small.
        Rinse salt from casings
        Soak in fresh water at 70º F (21.11ºC) for 1 hour
        Soak in fresh water at 90º F (32.2ºC) for 1 hour
        Place in fresh warm water 90º F (32.2ºC) at the stuffing table

Pre-flushed Vac-Pack: - Soak in fresh water at 90º F (32.2ºC) for 30 minutes
        Place in fresh warm water at the stuffing table
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 24, 2009, 02:50:24 AM
Here is some info on salt packed and pre-flushed vacuum packed hog casings. It is from Allied-Kenco , a butcher supply house. I've used both types and do soak either one.

Hog Casings

Salted Casings: - For best results soak over night in cooler in water that starts out at 90º F (32.2ºC).

The fast soak: If in a hurry, follow these instructions but understand that you may not get maximum expansion capacity from the casing. Rushing the soaking process can result in the casing being sticky and they may not slide easily from the horn. This can result in breakage and sausage that is irregular in diameter or too small.
        Rinse salt from casings
        Soak in fresh water at 70º F (21.11ºC) for 1 hour
        Soak in fresh water at 90º F (32.2ºC) for 1 hour
        Place in fresh warm water 90º F (32.2ºC) at the stuffing table

Pre-flushed Vac-Pack: - Soak in fresh water at 90º F (32.2ºC) for 30 minutes
        Place in fresh warm water at the stuffing table

That's good to know. I've never purchase pre-flushed casings. I do remember the label stated no rinsing of soaking necessary.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

Hawkeye-that is exactly what I have. Just read the directions. Thanks. Will not be doing these for a while. Have to wait until deer season(early November ) then hopefully I will be able to stuff.

HawkeyeSmokes

Good luck making that sausage watchdog56. We know that your going to get a deer, it's a given.  ;D Keep us posted with results, every one loves to hear about it.
HawkeyeSmokes