Biershinken

Started by Tenpoint5, September 24, 2009, 11:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Was talking with Up in Smoke and shared this recipe with him. Thought I would post it again with a small pictorial for those that have thought about making their own sausage. It is a good recipe to start out learning cures with.

BIERSHINKEN

Take 2 1/2 lbs lean pork butt ( I usually use tenderloin but not necessary) and cube it into 3/4 inch cubes. Toss with tender quick per tender quick directions and put in fridge a couple days.

Take 1 1/4 lb pork butt cubed and season it like bologna and emulsify with some ice water in a food processor til it is a paste. Add 2 tsp nonfat dry milk and blend in the processor--it will get stiff. Mix the emulsified meat with the cubed meat and stuff into 2 1/2 -3 inch fibrous casings (Summer Sausage size). I just spoon it in and keep packing it down in the casing.

Seasoning for emulsified meat:
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp mace
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cure #1

Smoke at 170 til 152 internal.

Then give bath in Ice water to stop the cooking and cool down to 100. Then refrigerate.

The Boston Butt separated and ready for the fridge.

Everything all mixed together ready for Stuffing

Ready for the Smoker

After 8 1/2 hours at 170 degrees and 152 internal it was time for a bath (DO NOT place your probe in the water as I did it WILL KILL the probe)

A couple Hours in the fridge and I just had to see how it looked and tasted. The verdict is Awesome smoked ham flavor!!!  Yes I used a Venison Sausage casing for this one, it was the last one I had

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

Looks real good 10.5 should try it soon.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

Looks good Chris

We should have a sausage smokeout  ;D

nepas

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 24, 2009, 11:43:43 AM
Looks good Chris

nepas

Sounds good but I don't know how to make sausage! Do you?
Maybe we could have Tiny Tim make it for us!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 24, 2009, 01:02:19 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 24, 2009, 11:43:43 AM
Looks good Chris

nepas

Sounds good but I don't know how to make sausage! Do you?
Maybe we could have Tiny Tim make it for us!!

Naaaa me neither  :D  ;D

mikecorn.1

Thats some good looking stuff. Got a question. what is the mace for. please excuse my dumbazzness but i truly dont know what it is.
Mike

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 24, 2009, 02:56:57 PM
Thats some good looking stuff. Got a question. what is the mace for. please excuse my dumbazzness but i truly dont know what it is.

It is to drive away unwanted nibblers.

HR

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 24, 2009, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 24, 2009, 02:56:57 PM

It is to drive away unwanted nibblers.

HR

I was just kidding. It is a spice ground from the layer between a nutmeg shell and its outer husk, resembling nutmeg in flavor.

HR

OU812

Thats some good looking sausage

I make some real similar to that but I use the bologna casings then slice for lunch meat and like you said "Awesome smoked ham flavor"