• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My OBS has a new house, sort of

Started by ArnieM, September 25, 2009, 09:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

The purpose is to be able to use the OBS in the rain and/or keeping it out of the wind.  The idea was inspired by squirtthecat.

I got a plastic utility cabinet from Home Depot.  The dimensions looked sufficient, the price was about right and it was in stock at my local store.  Here's a link to it.  http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Garage-Storage/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgaZarmi/R-100120789/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It comes in a LOT of pieces in a fairly small box.  I looked at the box when I got it home and it said "Made in U.S.A".  What kind of crap is this?

Assembly is so simple a child could do it.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a child handy.  It ended up being a 3 cocktail job.  :D

Even though it's plastic, once assembled it seemed about as sturdy as a balsa wood outhouse.  Here it is on my deck.

Here it is with the OBS inside.

Now, some drawbacks.

• The OBS doesn't fit.  >:(  The cabinet depth is listed as 19.3 inches on the box.  That's from the outside of the back panel to the front of the door pull handles.  GRRR.  So, I have three options.

• Use it for general storage and find another enclosure.
    • Cut holes in the back for the SG to cabinet power cord.  The problem is that the power cord on the back of the cabinet requires about 1.5 inches clearance.
    • Store it with the cabinet power cord removed and then pull out the OBS and attach the cord for use.  It would still be out of any rain.  I'm going with this one for now.
  • The shelves are rated to carry 66 pounds.  Of what I don't know.  You can see the OBS is leaning to the left.  If nothing else, that means the hot cabinet door will be closing on my arm when I go in there.  I'm going to cut up a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and put it on top of the plastic shelf.
  • The OBS will have to be rotated to get the SG out.  Probably not a big deal.
If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd be happy to hear them.

BTW, my deck looks like that for a reason.  I built it out of pressure treated wood and then stained it.  I didn't know at the time that it shouldn't be stained for at least 18 months of weathering.  Now, I'm power washing it spring, summer and fall to remove as much stain as possible and will re-stain next year.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Nice setup.

That sucks that it doesn't quite fit.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Damn, I inspired someone..  ;D

How much clearance is it off? You might be able to notch out the plastic around the protruding areas, and glue a plastic box (like one of those cheapo storage boxes) over the back to seal the wires from the elements..

The plastic base of mine isn't very strong either, the OBS will sit on some spare oak plywood planks when I get it all put back together.   And I have the same deal for my smoke gen, it requires a slight twist of the unit to detach it.

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 25, 2009, 10:36:20 AM
How much clearance is it off? You might be able to notch out the plastic around the protruding areas, and glue a plastic box (like one of those cheapo storage boxes) over the back to seal the wires from the elements..

I was going to say the same thing but use a weather proof electrical box with the back cut out then glued screwed and sealed over the hole you cut in the cabnet. That way if you need to mess with anything you can open the box without having to move the smoker. Might cost a little more but if the plastic you use to cover the hole aint UV resistant it wont last long in the elements.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on September 25, 2009, 02:00:18 PM
Might cost a little more but if the plastic you use to cover the hole aint UV resistant it wont last long in the elements.

I doubt if the whole thing will last long in the elements.  :(

I'll have to use something like you and STC recommended.  This plug/unplug stuff won't work.  I put in the plugs and started a preheat for my ABTs this afternoon.  I looked out after 20 minutes and nothing was happening.  A plug wasn't in all the way.

I just want to get through the winter.  I think I'll get some 3/4 inch marine plywood and build a proper, larger little 'house' this spring.  My wife said "Not on MY deck!"
[/color=blue]
-- Arnie

mikecorn.1

Looks kinda tight in there and with that gangsta lean  ;D   to the left, you might have a hard time keeping that door open when you are trying to do something.
Mike

OU812

Most of those out door sheds are UV resistant

This plug/unplug stuff is why I was thinking a box that opens from the back

ArnieM

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 25, 2009, 02:35:10 PM
Looks kinda tight in there and with that gangsta lean  ;D   to the left, you might have a hard time keeping that door open when you are trying to do something.

Right.  My burned right arm agrees with you.
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

This afternoon I had a meeting with my carpenter. I decided to build my own "Bradley enclosure". I figured it will be about 120 cm ( 47 - 48 inches) wide and about 2 meters (79"0 tall). Galvanised steel frame with a wooden body. The width would allow me to have a cold smoke set up with enough space left in order to pull the smoke generator out of the CSA and out of the closet. There will be enough shelves on top and below so that I can store my "toys" and brisquette and coordinated shelves to store the ET73 and the PID while plugged in. It will have at least three wall electrical socket to accommodate the smoker's needs as well as an extra one at a higher level for a fan to blow out the smoke ( idea courtesy of a member of this forum).

The final drawing will be done tomorrow and expected to have the real thing by the end of next week. It may cost me a bit more, but it will be to my liking.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Mr Walleye

HR

Just to add to your idea list, you can also put a roof vent on the top of the cabinet which will allow the smoke to vent. I know another member here did just that and if I can find the thread I will post it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Here's the post... If you scroll down to the last post there is a better picture of it.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2521.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopefull Romantic

Thank you Mr. Walleye. I was thinking about that but did not know exactly how to go about doing it. At one point, I thought to have a removable cylindrical tube to connect the smoker's vent with the roof vent.

Since my last meeting with the carpenter is tomorrow, I will try and implement your advice.

HR

ArnieM

That really sounds like a plan HR.  My wife is beginning to think I've gone off the deep end.
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on September 25, 2009, 04:00:19 PM
That really sounds like a plan HR.  My wife is beginning to think I've gone off the deep end.

Hey Arnie,

one of the many things I learned from my Dad; that there are three guys guys, in your life, you should never change unless under severe circumstances; your butcher, your barber and your Tailor. From the latter I learned that custom made is superior to off the rack. Therefore, the custom made cabinet for Bradley.

HR

ArnieM

So, who's doing the work HR?  Your Butcher, Your Barber or your Tailor.  ??? ;D ;D
-- Arnie