• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ribs,Brisket,Butts,Birds on BS?

Started by johnintx1, February 25, 2005, 12:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnintx1

Hello, If I dont plan to do any cold smoking,and I mostly want to smoke Brisket,Ribs,Butts, and Turkey/Chickens is the Bradley still a good choice for me ? or am I better of with a different unit and brand? Please address this for me,I really need your advice!
Thanks ,john

Howdy Yall
Live to smoke,Smoke to live.
Smoke on!!
John Welch
Amarillo Texas

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

the bradley will cook anything you put in there!!
with all of your questions you are asking, please take some time and browse threw the fourm and read some of the many post we have, you will find that alot of your ? have been  already asked..

johnintx1

YES, I have spent a week and Iam still reading all the topics possible in all of my spare time.I have read many threads and these are just a few of the things I was not clear about. I have even went to the other site to the archives to inform myself with out bothering anyone to learn about this unique smoker unit called the Bradley. All of the questions Iam asking about, I have learned about here on the forum,and I thought some people may have changed thier minds on some of these things after timed has passed or may have learned from some mistakes they have made since their postings.
Was looking for any NEW info and feedback on my questions.
Sincerely,thank you ,john

Howdy Yall
Smoke on!!
John Welch
Amarillo Texas

JJC

Hi John,

No need to be quiet--I think Rob wanted to make sure you knew there was quite a storehouse of knowledge available to you.  It's really impressive that you have done so much background reading, and of course there's bound to be things that aren't clear from past posts.

I agree with SR that the BS excels at all types of smokin'--hot and cold! [:p][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jaeger

johnintxt1,

Don't even hesitate on your decision to purchase a Bradley. Trust what you have seen posted. The times that certain meats take are true. The results are as stated. Sometimes you will have to make adjustments to procedures/recipe etc...  There is always a learning curve. Example: right now I am following orders from the wife and smoking about 8 pounds of cheese. Everything is set up and smoking and I am not even going to worry about cabinet temp or anything because I know how long it will take.I have done this before and I know what kind of wood I want to use and exactly how long I want to smoke it. I just need to make sure I don't start my Watkins box on fire![:0]
     You will not believe the difference you will have just from the different types of wood. People talk about different woods for different items because ....you really can tell a difference with the variety of woods with the Bradley. One "Olds" member here talks about tasting the smoke. In certain states this may be illegal [;)], but my point is, you will not have this benefit with any other smoker. Bar none! You will probably find about three or four types of wood and be happy with anything you can dream up to smoke.
  My advice, take your time until you are ready and buy the Bradley.
Even if you have to wait a few weeks or months, you will be glad you did! Trust me. [:D][^][8D]

Doug

jaeger

johnintx1,

Do you have or plan on getting a smoke and spice book? If you don't have one you should at least see if you can find a copy to browse through. It's  the one book you should have if you don't already.

Doug

johnintx1

Yes in fact I have ordered the Smoke &Spice book,and the new revised edition Sublime Smoking book from walmart online they should be here mon.02/28/05.
I have bought a new Bradley SS smoker, it is in shipment UPS web site says it will be here Mon. as well along with the cover,video,1 bx of assorted wood and 1 box of pecan,along with the pack of 4 extra non-stick coated jerky racks. Cant wait to get it all. I just like to know what iam getting into by being informed and I love to get the best $$ deal on everything that I buy. Iam still concerned if I bought the right product...with the jaming bisqs problem,and what seems to be very extreamly long cooking times, along with what seems to be a very small unit (not holding many lbs at a time),and I read alot about people not being get the temp up high enough to really cook and finish the product (short of a day 1/2- 2 days of cooking.But I have not really seen one yet.Has me rethinking my purchase, mabe selling my new Bradley and getting the new great outdoors units at wartmart online for 129.00 that are bigger and faster,there is so much info here that one can get confussed.so much to learn,so little time!

Howdy Yall
Smoke on!!
John Welch
Amarillo Texas

jaeger

johnintxt1,

I have been smoking at the retail level for 15 years. I never owned my own smoker. I had fresh smoked products available and sampled just about every batch of everything that I ever made. The main reason that I never bought a smoker is that I never saw anything that really appealed to me. One day I was walking through a hardware store that sold a lot of hunting and camping equipment and this smoker just jumped right out at me. The first thing that intrigued me was the smoke generator attached to the side. The second thing that I felt that they had right was the four shelves and four racks. I would have been hard pressed to find another brand with more than one or two racks. I looked at the price and just said d#&%. After my fourth relocation with my company it would definetly be on the back burner for a while. Every time that I went in that store I was like a little kid, I just had to go look at that shiney smoker. Anyway that is history and it has been well worth the bucks. The way I look at it, I could be spending my money in a lot worse ways and it's really  a lot of  fun to smoke and sample with family and friends. [8D][:)][:D]

Doug

jaeger

johnintxt1,
 I guess I don't know how much meat you want to cook or how many people that you plan to feed. If time is of the essence you can always cook off the days leading up to your events. The day of your event all you would have to do is reheat in the oven and cook some appetizers or something to get the smoke rolling. This way you will be able to control your serving time. If you feed large groups all the time than this may pose an inconvenience.
  As far as the brisquits jamming, don't worry about that. You are on a Bradley forum and you are going to hear "the good the bad and the ugly". Your Bradley will work. Bradley will make sure it works. If you have a problem you will not believe how fast they will solve your problem. We are talking like one or two days. Hopefully you won't have to find out the hard way but if you do,  don't worry about it.

Doug

johnintx1

Thanks guy ,I really needed to hear something positive!!!!

Howdy Yall
Smoke on!!
John Welch
Amarillo Texas

Cold Smoke

Welcome Johnintx1.

This baby does it all-and in pretty good volumes to boot. I'm not sure how much entertaining you do but many here are able to smoke up a heap of food in relatively short order and most important of all- it's damn good!![:D][;)]

If you have questions- fire away! You'll get good feedback here.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">johnintx1 Posted -
 Sorry to bother you Sir. However,I have spent a week and Iam still reading all the topics possible in all of my spare time. Iam sure there are alot of other new people here looking at this forum with as many or more questions as I have. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">SMOKEHOUSE ROB Posted
 the bradley will cook anything you put in there!!
with all of your questions you are asking, please take some time and browse threw the fourm and read some of the many post we have, you will find that alot of your ? have been already asked..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't take Smokehouse's comments the wrong way.... the search function and previous topics cover a ton of questions. BTW- I'm a little lazy [B)] and don't mind re-asking a question that's likely already been answered. [;)]

I'm sure you'll have no regrets once you test drive this unit! Good luck!

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Cold Smoke you say things so nicely. Me, I'm more direct as you know.

<hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

hawgbear

Hello everybody. I have been lurking in the background for quite a while and have learned some very helpful information from this forum. I  do not have a bs, but my dad is working on his second. I can tell you from experience that about everything I have ever ate out of it has been excellent. I personally have an offset smoker and enjoy it greatly, but I am waiting to get myself a bs. I was all ready to order one back in December when we (wife and I) found out that our third child will be due in August (funny thing - the vasectomy was 2 weeks too late), so the bs will have to wait.

John, you won't regret buying the bs, it is a great smoker. I can tell you this, treat it good and it will treat you good.I am sure the others here will tell you as well, that you will have to clean it after using it (no major scrubbing though).

You mention that the times to finish cooking seemed too long. May I ask what you are used to cooking and how long are you cooking those items? In my experience the bs doesn't take any longer than any other type of smoker when cooking at the equivalent temperatures, and the bs is a lot easier to manage than a fire in a smoker box. At least that has been my experience.

Hope you enjoy your smoker.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnintx1</i>
<br />YES, I have spent a week and Iam still reading all the topics possible in all of my spare time. Iam sure there are alot of other new people here looking at this forum with as many or more questions as I have.I have read many threads and these are just a few of the things I was not clear about. I have even went to the other site to the archives to inform myself with out bothering anyone to learn about this unique smoker unit called the Bradley. I hope that this forum is for people helping people with things that they dont quite understand. At least that is what I thought it was for.All of the questions Iam asking about, I have learned about here on the forum,and I thought some people may have changed thier minds on some of these things after timed has passed or may have learned from some mistakes they have made since their postings. Sorry to be a PITA(PAIN IN THE A**), I will try to just read and be quite.
Sincerely,thank you ,john

Howdy Yall
Smoke on!!
John Welch
Amarillo Texas
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
 i am sorry that you took my post the wrong way, it was in no way to ofend you. the amount of meat that you say you want to smoke , i dont think there is any home smoker unit that will do that amount. you would have to buy a commercel unit or build your own, the bradley is the closest unit you will get to a commercel one, if you need to smoke big amounts of meat say 45lbs and up , build your own out of a old fridge and just buy the bradley smoke genarator. to use with an old fridge and cut some vent holes and use a good hot plate for heat. but you said you already bought a bradley. i hope you didnt get it from America's Best Barbecue? if you go back threw the posts you will find that many have had to wait months for it to come, even my self, my wife ordered one for me as a surpise, it took 5 weeks to get, but maybe there have changed there way of shipping, if you change your mind i can send you a link yo get the best detaled plans on building a fridge smoker, please dont take this post the wrong way.