• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork side ribs( brisket removed)

Started by Quarlow, September 25, 2009, 08:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Ok, who wants to hit me with a link to really good pork side ribs. Please and thank you.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Side ribs are more commonly know as spare ribs, and depending on how they are trimmed they can be called St. Louis style or Carolina style. You can do a search on the board using spare ribs or St. Louis style ribs.

I use to cook them at 225°F, but know use 200°F after talking with a guy who won many championships for his ribs. I just trim off the skirt, any excess fat, season well and throw them in the smoker. I don't foil, or spritz, but do rotate the racks. To get them to fit on the racks I cut the last three ribs off the short end and smoke the small pieces on a separate rack. Most like to cook at 225°F using the 3-2-1 method; three hours of smoke or smoke/cooking, foil and cook another two hours, finally unfoil and continue to cook one hour or until done (you can apply your sauce at this point) and spritzing while they are not foiled.

Here are a couple of good links:

Spare rib Preparation
Pork Rib Selection

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

I did St. Louis style ribs in one of my earlier smokes...  I'll see if I can find the post.

They took a loooonnngggg time.

Quarlow

Yeah, that is what I have. St. louis style ribs.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on September 26, 2009, 06:29:39 AM
Yeah, that is what I have. St. louis style ribs.

Here is the thread.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11045.0

I had some temperature 'issues' midway through it, but they turned out great.  Just took a bit longer than expected.   With my Ranco temp controller, I won't have that problem again.

I cooked them on a Saturday, and we heated/sauced/served at a party on Sunday afternoon.

Quarlow

Read the link. That looks good to me.Not sure what to use for rub, but there are lots of recipes for that on here. Thanks Squirt.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on September 26, 2009, 06:52:18 AM
Read the link. That looks good to me.Not sure what to use for rub, but there are lots of recipes for that on here. Thanks Squirt.

I just used a store-bought rub.  But there are tons of rub recipes here, as you said.

"Jan's Rub" is supposed to be the go to rub...

HawkeyeSmokes

10.5 has a great pictorial on the recipe site. Works great. Here's a link.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Oooh those ribs look good. I will look at Jan's rub when I do these, but I'm not sure when I will get to do them. This weekend I will be working on my brothers boat both days. I think I'm going to have to teach my daughter to run this smoker for me. Cause like I always say " my time is everyone elses" and I will probably be working on the darn boat next weekend to.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Q, I did some PSR with the 3-2-1 method using my sotre bought rub, and they were fall of the bone good.
You can't go wrong with that way. Post pics.

Quarlow

Ok CRG you have convince me to try them.

OBS
BBQ