Clueless

Started by Oberdawall, September 27, 2009, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oberdawall

Hi all.

My father has asked for a smoker for his birthday and I am totally clueless when it comes to smokers and smoking except when it comes to eating.  My father is no help.  He loves cooking and wants to get into smoking, but really isn't sure what to buy and is totally clueless when it comes to the Internet and researching.  So, this falls to me...So, after much internet research, it looks like Bradley is the best route to go.  I have - I think - decided to go with an OBS + PID + Maverick.  He wants to smoke EVERYTHING - Fish (including salmon), cheese, beef, pork, chicken...sausages...Hmmm...I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to keep the cats away from him for a while...

Okay, so questions:

Am I right in thinking that there isn't any advantage in going with a DBS over the afore mentioned combo?  Will a DBS do anything that my proposed combo will not, and if it does, is it something that one needs???

Also, I have seen both Bradley BTIS1 and Bradley BTST02 models for the OBS.  Are there differences other than color and price?  I looking at the product descriptions for each, they look pretty much the same except for those two factors.

Thanks for any assistance ya'll can offer.

beefmann

Hi Oberdawall

welcome to the forum and you cant go wrong with     the OBS and pid mod, major plus  .. I  ALSO  added in a blower and nine hundred watt heater you will not be disappointed  with the obs, PID and maverick remote therometer,

I also would  order at  least 1 - 48 pack of all the bisquets and if you can find them  bubba puck bisquets savers well worth the money

beef

classicrockgriller

Hiya Ober, Looks like you did your homework well. I have a DBS w/ maverick. I have been told that if you want to smoke sausage & fish the pid is the way to go. So the OBS with a maverick and a pid will diffently do the smoking that you want to do. You might look at the cold smoke adaptor for your cold smoke needs ie cheese, steaks,etc. The SS model could have a little better insulation but most of these guys have the original Bradley. Your Dad is going to enjoy the Bradley. Teach him how to log in so he can come here with his questions. CRG

Hopefull Romantic

Hello Oberdawall and welcome to the forum,

Both beefman and CRG has set you off well. I have the DBS, ET - 73 and the PID. As CRG mentioned, most here have the OBS and the PID and that seems good enough and the DBS would not add much to your combo. I strongly second beefman on his Bubba pucks suggestion. These would set you back about $20 -$25 but would save you at least 2 - 3 bisquettes every time you smoke.

CRG's cold smoke suggestion is also good and Bradley has a great looking one, but many here build their own.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

deb415611

Welcome Oberdawall,

I have the OBS & Auber PID and would do again.  As beefman pointed out bubba pucks are well worth the money.

It looks like you have done some reading but in case you haven't found it here is a link to the members recipe site which includes a great faq section   http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

Deb

3rensho

Hi Oberdawall,

I've had my Bradley OBS and PID combination for over four years now and am well pleased with the combination.  If I was starting out fresh today I would still pick this combination.  I can't fault it.  OBS and an Auber PID will do right by ya.  Also, in addition to a box of pucks, Auber's version of Bubba Pucks work very well - these are the hollow Al rings.  Never had a problem with them and they're not nearly as heavy as the original Bubba Pucks. 

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tiny Tim

I have the OBS, PID, and Mav ET73....only thing I would change is the thermometer, to a dual meat probe remote instead.  With the PID, the cabinet temp holds so tight, I don't need to monitor that from inside the house....do like to have a second food probe though (I actually just shove the cabinet probe into the second piece of meat right now).

OU812

Welcome to the fun

I have the DBS6 and havent used any of my other smokers sense I got the Bradley. I got the 6 rack so when doing summer sausage and bigger sausages I could get the meat higher above the heating element. I have also up graded with a PID. The only advantage you have with the DBS and PID over the OBS and PID is that the DBS you can set the timer to shut off the smoke generator.

Watch out this smoking thing is addictave

pkcdirect

Welcome , Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Paul
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

Oberdawall

Thank you for all of the great advice!

Sorry I it took me a couple of days to get back to thank ya'll.  I had issues trying to order from Auberin's - Finally got it sorted out today.

I took ya'lls' suggestions and ordered the bubba pucks from Auberin's along with the PID.  I also ordered the cold smoker when I ordered the OBS.  I got him a variety box of pucks to start with so he try several different "flavors".  I also got him a box of the Jim Beam pucks cuz...well...Jim Beam.  This could be fun.   ;)

I know my dad will have a blast with his new smoker.  I will indeed direct him this way and help him get set up with an account.  I know he will have a ton of questions and this is a great place for him to find some excellent answers.