• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pucks partly burnt

Started by sterlingpriceporker, October 04, 2009, 08:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sterlingpriceporker

I'm doing some jerky. my second batch. I cold smoked the strips for 1.5 hours. I've shut off the smoke and i'm finishing the meat. But in the water bowl are the many of the pucks less than 30 burned up. Is this normal? I can upload picture once the meat is done. I don't what to keep opening the door or mess with it much now.
thoughts? is this normal?
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.

HawkeyeSmokes

Doesn't sound normal to me. Have you watched to see that the pucks are staying on the burner for the full 20 minutes?
HawkeyeSmokes

JGW

I just saw a thread about pucks not burning all the way....

Here it is:  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=773&postcount=16

Habanero Smoker

To add to that and the information contained in the link, several members have noticed that when they are cold smoking, this problem seems to occur; especially with the cold smoke setup. It may be, without the additional heat from the element this may occur.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 04, 2009, 01:59:18 PM
To add to that and the information contained in the link, several members have noticed that when they are cold smoking, this problem seems to occur; especially with the cold smoke setup. It may be, without the additional heat from the element this may occur.

Habs I think that is right on the money. When the generator is in the tower, the tower's tempreture heats up the brisquettes and that speeds up the wood's temp rise to the burning point and I bet Bradley's calculations of 20 minutes per is based on that. When cold smoking, the only source of heat the brisquettes get is the wood burner plate and that may not be enough to heat up the wood and to burn fully in 20 minutes.

Weather permitting, I am going to smoke some cheese tonight or tomorrow night to take to Syria with me. I am gonna try some thing and if it works I will post it. If it doesn't, O what the heck. I will post it too.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

HR;

It will be interesting to hear your results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)