Smoked Salsa Verde

Started by classicrockgriller, October 04, 2009, 12:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I had originally posted on My Salsa Verde recipe. I played with that off and on and made many quarts of "not good eats" until I was able to get the ingredients to the proper ratio that would challenge any authentic Mexican food restaurant version. I decided to make a smoke version which is pretty much like my original version except I smoke all that I thought was smokable. I cut the stem top of the tomatillo and faced it down to get max exposer to the smoke (you can the one on the right), I split the jalapeno (split side down), quartered the onions, half smashed the garlic.

I put them on to smoke until the tomatillos were soft, about 1 1/2 hrs. I put 2 cups of water in a pot, brought to a boil, put in the two cubes of chicken bouillon and the red tomatoes, reduce the heat and simmered till the red tomatoes were soft.

I finish off like I had previously posted adding NO salt and exchanging the black pepper for smoke black pepper.

It was a total different taste. Wifie said she would have a hard time deciding which one to use if they are both in the fridge.
You can view the step by step and all the ingredients in the origional post. Thanks   CRG

Hopefull Romantic

Simply ingenious CGR.

If I were to try all of your recipes, Nepas, Habs, Ky's, Carolyn's, OU's, Pens, WTS and the others, I should plan 9 meals a day for the next eternity.

On to do list.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tenpoint5

Well of course she would have to use the smoked one then you could make more and spend some more quality time with your Bradley.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

10, That is how I made the Smoke version of the verde. She told me I couldn't do anything on the smokers for a few days cause she thought I was going crazy.
I said ok. I was sitting here breaking penciles wanting to smoke something. She ask if I would make some salsa verde.......ding ding ding, sure honey no problem.
She said I cheated, But when she tasted it.....I was forgiven.   CRG

classicrockgriller

Two friends came by this morning and I ask them to try some. New bag of scoop dorito's and a qt of smoked salsa verde. 30 minutes later, that jar and 1/2 of another were GONE along with a bag and 1/2 of chips.   CRG

ArnieM

Damn, another bookmark.  I think Firefox is getting overloaded with recipes.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on October 05, 2009, 12:37:17 PM
Damn, another bookmark.  I think Firefox is getting overloaded with recipes.  ;)

Ok I'm an idot, what is a bookmark and how do you do it.

This salsa sounds dam good.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: OU812 on October 05, 2009, 02:54:34 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on October 05, 2009, 12:37:17 PM

Ok I'm an idot, what is a bookmark and how do you do it.

This salsa sounds dam good.

If your using Internet Explorer Ou812, it's the favorites, Firefox calls it bookmarks. Both do the same thing.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

OU, HS has it there.  If you need any more assistance, send me a PM.  I use Firefox, IE8 and Chrome but I prefer Firefox. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

All this comp talk has so many diff names.  ::)

So just add to favorites then I take it.

HawkeyeSmokes

You got it OU.  ;D Make's it so easy to find that way, can't count the times I forgot to save something and then had to try searching for it. DOH!
HawkeyeSmokes

Caribou

CRG!
That salsa looks so good!
It sounds like it passed the "Dorito Test" with flying colors  :D
Carolyn

JGW

Another thing to try, is when done smoking throw everything on the grill until it blackens a bit....esp the peppers and tomatoes, tomatillos, etc.   This allows you to char the skin and remove it (and give a nice char flavor to the salsa), then blend as normal.

My neighbor in San Antonio used to grill all his peppers and tomatoes for his salsa (which was fantastic...If I regret anything, it was that I didn't get his recipe).  He did his over a wood fired mesquite grill, and it was AWESOME.

I have no doubts that your friends enjoyed a great salsa.   :)