Question About Vacuum Sealers.

Started by Oldman, February 27, 2005, 04:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

SHR,

Do you have any idea how long it's going to take Olds to find an empty <b>soda</b> can![:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

JJC,
I talk with Doug again and he is going to see what he can do about a bag that can be boiled and yet he can split the case up. He has read this thread through my last posting.

Now in my business many years ago <b>I used a vacuum "Pack" to control urine odor in a old feather couch.</b> I took three 3-stage vacuum motors and stacked them. The primary was hooked to a vac hose. The second one vacuumed the exhaust of the first one and the third vacuumed the exhaust of the second one. In effect I created a one 9-stage vacuum. We place the couch on the outside porch. (I was on the 20th floor of a high rise.)

Well I placed the couch inside two heavy duty modified couch bags. Modified by the fact that there would two vacuum hoses on each end of the couch. One was hook to the vacuum(s). The other had a type of funnel on the end of it.

Once the couch was crushed and the vacuum motors had spin up to their maximum we took another machine that burns an oil via a small gasoline jet engine (not kidding) that creates a smoke down to 7 microns. This type of oil has odor controling properties. We allowed this smoke to enter the couch via the funnel.  We continued to do this until we got a good exhaust of smoke out of the last vacuum motor.

Next step we waited 5 days and the urine odor was gone, but you could still smell the smoke. This time the couch was inside a small empty bedroom The last vacuum motor was now vented via a host to the outside. So we repeated the above method but this time we used an O3 machine (ozone) allowing the vacuum motors to pull it though the couch. So that the 03 would not bleach out the color of the fabric do to moisture (RH) in the air we set this whole deal up inside of a drying tent and used a large Desiccant Dehumidifier. The RH was well under 15%!! In the end the cat's urine odor was stopped, the smoke smell was stopped. Plus we did not bleach out the color.

<b>All of this said and done I think can say I have vacuumed/ "sealed" the largest item of any member here~~! Not mention I got real good money saving that couch as it came out of the late 17th century~~!</b>

Over the years I have done many a specialty item. Like the time I hand re-dyed one strain at a time a rug that came out of the Shaw's palace in Iran that the then current owner cat's had peed on. That took me 3 months to restore.

Then there was the time when no one would touch this silk chair as it had newspaper ink on it--silk absorbs and adsords. So for $379.00 I took an 89 cent art gum eraser and just erased the ink off LOL!!!

While war stories are always fun to share I'm real glad I don't offer these types of service any longer. <b>There is only so much a person's nerves can handle when dealing with items such great value...knowing if you screw it up you are an owner.</b>

Find a soda can, Chez, you should wish I was that slow!!!!!
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

RhinoDoc

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I used a vacuum "Pack" to control urine odor in a old feather couch.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I hate to point out the obvious, but maybe if you didn't pass out on the couch and pee all over yourself and the couch, you might not have had this problem to begin with.[:D]

Pete

JJC

Hi Raye,

If we want to order a vacuum sealer, should we contact you or go through Doug?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

Just an update for people on this side of the pond wanting a vacuum sealer.

I got the Tilia FoodSaver 550 from BestDirect TV, there was a delay in processing my order because of an error but it was quickly rectified and eventually everything arrived as ordered.

This thing is GREAT, in a short space of time I have used it extensively, it is so easy to use! The shelf life of fridged and frozen food is increased several fold in most instances and freezer burn is a thing of the past.

The consumables are rather expensive which makes re-using the bags well worth while although the instructions say that the bags/rolls should not be re-used if they have been used for raw meat / fish products.

The bags/rolls appear to be dishwasher safe but after storing then reheating food using the bag as a "boil in the bag" the bags seem to be irreversible stained. Certainly does not lend itself to being re-used in such instances from an appearance point of view.

Also used it for a range of other vacuuming, in particular for keeping items sealed from the effects of sea water on the boat.

Recommended but a bit expensive for the particularly cost conscious!! [:D][:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Niccolo

The Foodsavers are great and economical. Most of my friends and family are using the same brand at home. But I don't recommend re-using the bag especially if they are used in raw meat or any food. We can not assume that there will be no contamination, it might spoil the food or worse bacteria may thrive. Injection Molding Indiana