Just Brought Home OBS

Started by Rainmaker, October 04, 2009, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

I would try the fork test (insert, twist and turn) before pulling it out at 170. That will also tell you if it is as tender as you would like it.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

I'm with Hawkeye on this one.  170 sounds too low.  If it pulls per the stick and twist test, fine, but not likely.  Otherwise I'd shoot for a higher internal temp.  Then I'd do the Foil, Towel and Cooler thing (FTC) for about an hour.  Smoking takes time.  Guests get restless.  Throw a few chips at them or play Wii bowling for a while.

As a general rule, it'll probably always take longer than you figured on.  Enjoy the fruits of your labor.   :)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

Congrats on your smoker purchase and WELCOME to the forum.

Bump the heat to 225* and take the IT of the butt between 190 and 210* The bone will pull right out. 225* low and slow  ;D

nepas

Rainmaker

Well, I took it off at 170 deg even though it failed the fork test.  It wasn't pulled pork, but my wife said it was "the best damn pork roast she has eaten".  It was tender and had a very good smoke flavour.  Rub was a bit salty, but that only affected the ends pieces.  So, I learned a lot.  I originally planned to cook it tomorrow when I could put it on earlier than today.  Chicken on Friday for guests!  Oh, and the drip bowl was dry when I went to clean the OBS.  How often do you need to refill it?

Hopefull Romantic

You should refill the bowl every 4 hours at most.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

The drip bowl is there for two reasons; extinguish the spent pucks and collect grease , so it always should have at least a little water in it.  I have been hotly reprimanded for not having water in mine because of the possibility of a grease fire.

I always try out my new recipes on company.  They usually come back.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Quote from: JimV on October 05, 2009, 07:34:24 PM
Well, I took it off at 170 deg even though it failed the fork test.  It wasn't pulled pork, but my wife said it was "the best damn pork roast she has eaten".  It was tender and had a very good smoke flavour.  Rub was a bit salty, but that only affected the ends pieces.  So, I learned a lot.  I originally planned to cook it tomorrow when I could put it on earlier than today.  Chicken on Friday for guests!  Oh, and the drip bowl was dry when I went to clean the OBS.  How often do you need to refill it?

Sounds like your on your way to perfection, take notes on your learning curve then when you get it the way you want keep that note. Keep water in the drip bowl, as HR stated check every 4 hr. When doing poultry keep your vent wide open. I like to bump the temp up to 250 F when doing chicken and pull the bird out when the IT hits 155 F the IT will rise when it is resting. Dont plan on eating the skin as the smoked skin is like a nice smoked piece of rubber. If you want to eat the skin pull the bird out at IT of 140 F and finish on the grill.

Good luck