Just Brought Home OBS

Started by Rainmaker, October 04, 2009, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

Hi All,
Just brought home an OBS.  It is sitting on the deck being seasoned.  One question arose while I was assembling it.  How securely does the smoke generator "snap onto" to the smoke tower?  It doesn't seem very secure.  However, there doesn't seem to be any smoke escaping between the smoke generator and the smoke tower so it must be okay.

Will try my first smoke tomorrow.  I bought a pork shoulder blade roast.  It is bonelss (hope that doesn't make a difference).  Weight is only about 3 lbs.  Will spent tonight looking up recipes on this site.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum JimV. The generator is just a slip fit to the tower. Keep that vent open when smoking and no smoke will backup by the generator. I haven't done a boneless pork roast but I am sure others will be by that have. Have fun and keep us posted.
HawkeyeSmokes

Huntnfreak

Welcome to the smoke world Jim V.  I'm new to this stuff too and I can assure you that you will get a wealth of info from the site.  If there is no smoke escaping, you should be good.  Don't forget to brine or rub.  Glad to have another rookie like me around!!

classicrockgriller

JimV, welcome and hope your first smoke is a great smoke.   CRG

Quarlow

Hey JimV welcome to the forum. Smoke'm if you got 'em. I'm going to smoke some salmon but it's hard to find papers that big. ;D ::) :'(
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum JimV and the the addiction.

Just to touch base on your question, the generator should fit securely onto the tower although it may take some wiggling to do it. I suggest that when attaching the generator, get the side further away from you attached first and then the one closer. I ran ito the same before and I found it easier that way.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum JimV!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum JimV.  Like you, I thought the SG fit to the cabinet was a bit loose and I had thought of cutting some thin gasket material to put between them.  But, I didn't and haven't had any problems - no smoke escaping.  Keep your vent pretty well open, especially so for stuff with a higher moisture content.  It seems natural to think closing the vent down will keep in the heat and the smoke.  It doesn't work that way.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Welcome to the fun JimV.

Watch out this kind of smoking is very addictive.

Let us know how the roast turns out.

Oh Ya dont ever close your vent when smoking some thing, the smoke and moisture need a place to go and if you close things up the smoke and moisture is going to go out your generator. Not good for the generator.

Rainmaker

Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone.  Pork roast went in just before noon and is currently sitting at 157 degrees internal temp at 3:30pm.  So, it should be ready for supper.  OBS seems to be working well (I haven't peaked).  I was surprised that I didn't notice any swings in the temperature readings of the cabinet thermometer.  It has reamined pretty steady once I got it to about 225 degrees  I had expected trouble getting a constant termperature after reading a lot of the posts on this site.  Maybe it is beginners luck!  I am also glad to see that I can go higher than 225 if I want.  My slide is only ablut three quarters to full power.  I had a Charbroil electric bullet smoker and could only get to about 200 degrees on full power on a hot day - the reason why I wanted to moe up to an OBS.

FLBentRider

157F is done, maybe a little over for me.

With that load, the temps should be pretty even.

Try 30Lbs of pork butt. It will take a few hours to get back to temp.

good luck with the loin!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

JimV,

Holding the temp shouldn't be a problem - as long as you don't keep opening the door to peek inside.  The OBS is pretty decently insulated.  I usually smoke/cook at about 215-225 but it will go a bit higher.  Just remember, this is supposed to be low and slow.  Patience (which I don't have much of) is required.

You'll find that the IT might go up quite quickly, and then stop.  That's when the good stuff happens.  Then, it takes a while.  190-200 is a pretty good internal temp (IMHO).

Enjoy your smoker.  Keep notes; meat, rub, weight, smoke time, wood type, cook time, etc.  You'll have more company than you ever wanted in no time at all.  ;D
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 05, 2009, 04:16:15 PM
157F is done, maybe a little over for me.

With that load, the temps should be pretty even.

Try 30Lbs of pork butt. It will take a few hours to get back to temp.

good luck with the loin!

JimV has a pork shoulder blade roast. Would that take the same IT as a butt roast? 190 to 195? I've never used that cut (it might even be the same cut) so just asking!
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

I'm not an expert, but here goes.

It seems to me the blade is a sort of boneless Boston butt.  So, it's suitable for pulling.  The picnic (lower part of the front leg) is probably better for slicing.  If my assumption about the blade is correct, I'd go for the higher IT and pull it.  Here's a link.  You might have to page down a bit to get to the blade.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/pork-shoulder-blade-how-to-cook-42745.html
-- Arnie

Rainmaker

Thanks ArnieM.  I thought it was like a Boston butt, but without the bone, so was aiming for the 190deg.  It is not going up very fast though so may take it out at around 170.