Bradley Forum Christmas Gift Exchange......DID EVERONE GET THEIR GIFT?

Started by classicrockgriller, October 07, 2009, 12:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdevous

Quote from: dbrown1 on December 24, 2009, 01:56:35 AM
I know Q'S is on the way...I promise next year no swine flu :-\

Well, take that medicine and eat more toast with Ray's Magic Cures All Dat Ails Ya Toast Mix on it.   ::)

Glad to hear that you are getting more active!!!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: rdevous on December 24, 2009, 09:17:04 AM

Well, take that medicine and eat more toast with Ray's Magic Cures All Dat Ails Ya Toast Mix on it.   ::)

Ray

One day you have to tell us about the Majic Cure All.

You know I am getting old! ;D

dbrown1

Quote from: rdevous on December 24, 2009, 09:17:04 AM

Ray

Man that toast mix is awesome !! Thanks again Ray

Q if it doesn't get there soon lemme know and I'll go talk to the folks down at the post office.

Quarlow

It's here, It's here, my xmas gift exchange arrived.Through no fault of his own dbrown1 was laid up so his gift to me didn't get out as soon as he would have liked. That said it was shipped with likely enough time to have arrived by at least New Years eve day. Who knows why it took this long but it is now here and that is all that counts. This gift exchange in my eyes was a huge success and Tenpoint five and Classicrockgriller are to commended on a job well done. Although it seems more of a labour of love than a job. You 2 guys went above and beyond for this cause when you think about it, this is just a forum for a silly little apparatus that is so big by way of how it has bonded total strangers from the four corners of this planet to a brother and sisterhood to the point of we know more about each other than you could ever imagine knowing about someone you have never met face to face. And when you think about those who you have this common bond with you know that if it were not for this little metal box that produces smoke you would walk right past these people never knowing that you have a thing in common. And this is all due to some guy who really liked to put smoke to food so much so that he designed and built what is arguably the ultimate smoker and turned it into a business. And dare I say this is more than a business to these people because when have you ever dealt with another business that treats you the way they do. Yes there is some that do and some right here in our mix such as the guys from Yard and Pool and a few others. I for one would love to here "The rest of the story" and maybe I will send out a message to see if we can get the whole truth from him. Anyway I am rambling on now and the whole reason for this is the gift which is.......in my next post hahaha
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

OK so here it is and again thank you to David (dbrown1) he scoured the forum to figure out what would be an appropriate gift that would be suitable for me and this is what he came up with and in my opinion he nailed it.

When I say he nailed it I have to tell you that I have always been intrigued with knives and even as a young boy got books from the library on knives and their history and how to make them. In fact this very knife is one that when have the time to I will delve into making. I am very interested in the Inuit culture and how the people of the north lived and survived in such conditions. Of course David would not have know this from anything I have posted on here, yet my love for all things smoked salmon maybe slightly evident and this is one of the things this knife is good for. Now I just have to get the right technique figured out as to how to be comfortable with this type of blade.
For those who are unfamiliar with this knife it is called an ULU (oo-loo) which has been used by the native Eskimo people for centuries and was originally made from slate or if they found one the right shape from granite and even bone. When the white man came to the north with knifes shaped as we know them the Eskimos adapted to the ways of the white people and made theirs out of steel but still kept the shape they were used to. If you have ever seen a National Geograhics show or any that show the people of the north you may have seen them use these knives with precision accuracy. OK I'm rambling again. Thank you so much David and Happy New year to you and yours.

OBS
BBQ

Tenpoint5

Very Nice indeed there Quarlow!! I think it was mentioned to me that you would really enjoy using it on Salmon. Looks Great
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Thats a sweet knife there Q

Now to figure how to use it and keep all your fingers.

dbrown1, what a great gift.

classicrockgriller

Q, that is just a beautiful knife, almost too pretty to use.

My X BIL brought me one from Alaska when he was up there and I use it to cut cheese. ;D

Thanks for the History of your gift and congrats!

db, I see a smile on Q's face. Great job and glad you are feeling better.

dbrown1

Glad you liked it Q , once you learn how to use it you will love filleting fish with it .  ;D

Quarlow

I have already used it. Just made my stuffed pork loin roast. Filet the roast, chopped the ingredients and cut the string with it. Got some pics and will post after dinner. Just watching the smoker till she preheats and in it goes.

OBS
BBQ

pensrock

Quarlow

You never seen the Eskimos grab a piece of raw blubber in their teeth and then cut a piece off and eat it? Mmm yummy ...not. ;D
Here is a link to the ULU factory if your interested.
http://www.theulufactory.com/

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

So here is the ULU in action.

I was chopping nuts, apricots and rasins for another of my stuffed pork loin roasts.
Worked like a charm. You may notice I am keeping my finger tips tuck well back. Didn't need any more meat with dinner. ;D ;D
If you haven't checked out the website for these knives you should. They have a spot to enter your name cause they give one of these knives away every month and all you have to do is fill in the blanks.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller