I'm a lucky winner! Again!

Started by ArnieM, October 08, 2009, 12:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Sorry, nothing to do with smoking.  I just got another email - I'm sure we all do - the first part is pasted in below.  That's one long first sentence.

Redkings Online Promotions
271 Kings Street,
Eastern-Cape, 8001
South Africa.

PRIZE AWARD NOTIFICATION!!!
We are pleased to inform you of your Email Address merging as one of the lucky winning Email Address
in the second category of our Computer Balloting made today 3rd,October 2009 of winners from the
RED KINGS ONLINE PROMOTION, as part of our Promotional Draws held in September 2009.

This is a Scientific Computer Game in which your Email address was used.It is a Promotional Program by
RED KINGS ONLINE PROMOTION and is hosted by FIFA for the upcoming World cup soccer game in
South Africa; therefore you do not require buying a Ticket to enter for it as Email Addresses were randomly
selected from Six different continents.

I don't know where these people come from.  No, that's not true.  They all seem to come from South Africa.  So, if I simply give them my name, full address, SSN, bank account number and PIN, they'll give me some money.  Hmmm.  Last week I won 1.5 million pounds sterling in some UK lottery.  Some say "You have to play to win" but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Arnie I got the same about a month ago. Those guys are crooks and as a matter of fact, FIFA (the international soccar federation)has issued a disclaimer regarding tese "contests". And they are mostly from Nigeria and not S. Africa. Dont even think about sending them your shoe size let alone any other vital info.

HR

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

HR, the email came with phone numbers to call and claim my winnings.  I was half-tempted to call with *67 (caller ID block) just to see what was on the other end.  :D

I think these scams are obvious to almost all of us but I feel really sorry for the naive that might get sucked into them.

We will send 1 million dollars to your bank.  But, first, you must send us $2000 from your bank account for shipping and handling.

No problem.  Here's my money and account info.

Hello.

Hello?
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Arnie

they have been long practicing these scams. Back in the mid or early nineties when email and internet were not accessable to many, they were using telexes and faxes. My cousin received such a "deal" and no matter how hard I tried to convince him otherwise he was determined to go along. So I decide to play along and we sent the man in Nigeria all the information he wanted (bogus off course).
That time it was not "winning" a contest or a draw, but rather a corrupt ousted president or some high official who smuggled money out of Nigeria. The documents we received were so convincing that I start thinking how I am going to spend all that money I will be getting.

To make a long story short, when it was time to transfer the millions to us, he ran into a snag where an employee at the Nigerian Central Bank wanted a bribe of $15000 (fifteen thousand) to "let it slide. I FABRIACTED a telex copy showing him that we transferred the money and in a short time he realized that he was not the only one doing the scamming.

I agree with you about the naive who would fall for such a crooks. Some lost a lot of money in it but others lost their lives because they were "invited" to go and get their money in person. I remember a German business man was killed in similar situation in Benin, W. Africa.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

Arnie, If I had just part of the "money" I won, I could solve the nations debt. I have a good filter and I don't have to look at them if I don't want to. I do read them ever so often to see if there are any new stories. I hate the ones that end with "God Bless you for Helping" God has a special place for them.

Ka Honu

Arnie - Send me the $2,000 and I'll handle the rest of the transaction appropriately.

ArnieM

I have to admit KH, you're always there when we need ya!  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Oldman

Did you all see where the Director of the FBI almost almost got taken? Duh~~~! He filled in several answers before it hit him!  Dumb A$$!

I personally totally refuse to do any banking online. There are no passwords of any count on any of my systems. Once per year I have all of my credit cards numbers changed out.

Not only that but once per week I also change out my socks!  ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Oldman on October 08, 2009, 04:19:12 PM
Did you all see where the Director of the FBI almost almost got taken? Duh~~~! He filled in several answers before it hit him!  Dumb A$$!

I personally totally refuse to do any banking online. There are no passwords of any count on any of my systems. Once per year I have all of my credit cards numbers changed out.

Not only that but once per week I also change out my socks!  ;D

I do that to and with the money I save on socks and laundry them I can smoke more meat. That's funny Olds

ArnieM

Once a week?  I always heard that if you throw them against a wall and they don't stick, you're good to go!   ;D
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

I might start washing my socks and smoking them dry in the Bradley with mesquite

classicrockgriller

When someone says your feet stink just say naa that's mesquite.

ArnieM

Hmmm.  I might just try throwing some mesquite in with a dryer load of clothes.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

you won't get the true smoke. plus you can do a brisket while you wait