• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question ref smoker temps

Started by JDNC, October 08, 2009, 03:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

Hey guys, it's been awhile..I'm going to smoke sausage this weekend and was wondering how I should program my PID.  I have always read after drying (130-140) and smoking to gradually increase the temp to 165-170.  What is gradual? I have in the past (after smoking)increased 10 deg/hr until I reached 165 or so..but I think it's probably a waste of cooking time. I'm thinking this time after drying and smoking to just ramp-up from 135 to 165.  What do you think?

JD

Hopefull Romantic

I have no Idea about the subject of Jerky and I am sure some one will be here shortly to advise you on the subject. I just wanted to tell you that I love your initials (JD).

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

watchdog56

I preheated smoker to 130 with no smoke for 1 hour then put 2 hours of smoke on at 150 then another hour of no smoke at 160 then finished until internal temp was 150.

Mr Walleye

JDNC

For me in my home made large smoker, I do 1 - 2 hours at 130, then ramp temps directly to 165 and begin applying smoke. The reality is that it takes probably an hour for the temps to get there with the large load and stabilize so it is some what of a slow ramp so to speak. I have not had any problems. I would try it and see if there any side effects in your given setup. Certainly if there is no side effects it would shorten your total time, if not just go back to the way you were doing it.

It's all good!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

I do the same as Mike does when i do sticks/sausage in my BS/PID.

nepas

JDNC

I think that's what I'll do..

Dry for an hour or so at 130, then add smoke and ramp it up to 165.  I've got 5lbs of Kiebasa and 5lbs of Salami in two chubs.  Haven't figured out how I'm going to get it in the smoker yet but that's the plan.

Thanks, JD

JDNC

Mike, I'll let you know how it works out.  That's what I'm trying to do is cut my cooking time down.  I think about 2hrs is enough smoke anyway..what do you think?  I just want to be careful about the 3 1/2 chubs..don't want to fat-out these big boys!

JD

Mr Walleye

Quote from: JDNC on October 08, 2009, 05:44:44 PM
Mike, I'll let you know how it works out.  That's what I'm trying to do is cut my cooking time down.  I think about 2hrs is enough smoke anyway..what do you think?  I just want to be careful about the 3 1/2 chubs..don't want to fat-out these big boys!

JD

The smoke flavor is always a personal taste thing. I usually start with 2 or 3 hours when trying out a recipe for my taste but in my big smoker I have done up to 5 hours. At 5 hours I think, again just my taste, it is about my limit for smoke flavor.

I did 100 lbs of chubs in my big smoker a few months back. The overall time was very similar to a load that size in hog casings, maybe slightly longer. I would probably use a cabinet temp of 165 and shoot for an IT on the sausage of 152. I have bumped the temp to 170 at times to push things along, even 175 but in my experience if you push it too far you end up either rendering the fat or making the casings tough.

Mike

JDNC

Mike, In reference to the temp's for the chubs I think I'll stay at 165 and ride it out until the IT 152.  I was looking at these in the fridge this morning and was wondering if I can hang them in my smoker.  I know one is a little long.  I really need to use the inverted set-up but have not cut any wood to hold the rack.  I guess I could take the drip-pan out to give me more room.  I may just lay the suckers on racks as I haven't tasted the marks yet..ha.

JD

Mr Walleye

JDNC

One thing I found with the chubs (fibrous casings) is that they don't like to release moisture as they cook. So I have found that if I hang it and poke a hole in the bottom tip of the casing it allows the moisture to drip out. If this is not done I have found the moisture tends to collect under the casing.

Just my 2 cents....

I hope that made sense?

Mike

JDNC

Mike, I'm thinking about using the racks and not hanging.  What do you suggest I do? Do you think I might poke a small hole in both ends of the chubs?

JD

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JDNC on October 09, 2009, 10:11:12 AM
Mike, I'm thinking about using the racks and not hanging.  What do you suggest I do? Do you think I might poke a small hole in both ends of the chubs?

JD

I have done chubs on the racks with no problems. Only thing is you will have some squares on the chub where they were laying on the rack, no biggie really. You might want to poke a few holes in the case, i use one of them expensive corn holder thingys  ;D there like 10 cents.

nepas

Mr Walleye

I would poke a few holes on the side you have facing down and give it a shot. It will turn out fine doing it on the racks. Like NePas said, it will probably have a little bit of a flat spot on them but that will have nothing to do with taste. Hey... it's like a built in stabilizer for the cutting board!  :D

Mike