• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HELP! OBS dead will not heat!

Started by JDNC, October 10, 2009, 07:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

I used my OBS yesterday all day long smoking sausage and last night after taking out the sausage I put in two chubs of salami and set my PID for 170* after smoking.  When I got up this morn the smoker was at 134* (bad sign).  I found that the smoker was not heating. I unpluged my PID (which was showing a steady green light) and plugged the smoker in direct but no luck.  The front light on the front is on so I know I have power there.  I took my sausage out and put in a water-bath as the IT was 128*.  I have never had a problem with my unit heating as I read some have.  It held a steady 170* yesterday.  I felt the heating element this morn and it's cold..not heating at all.

Do you think the element is bad?  And if so do you remove it from the inside?  If I can remove it can  I check it with a meter and does the terminal for the element have voltage on both legs or just one? Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

JD

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi JDNC

Yes you remove the element from the inside of the smoker
If you have a meter you should have a reading of about 30 ohms across the element.

JDNC

I removed the element, checked with a meter and found no continuity.  I also checked for voltage on the two legs I disconnected and found 125 volts on one leg (right side white lead).  I think the element must be bad.  Who do I contact in reference to purchasing a heating element?

JD

Quarlow

Hey, JD if I remember right, that is a fairly new smoker is it not. If it is just get a hold of Brian at Bradley and he will fix you up I sure. Just want to mention that when I started in on the forum I was told about a dead spot in the temp slider. Apparrently if you push the control all the way to full on it cuts out,so I have never taken the time to test it but I always just pull it back a touch.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

JDNC

Quarlow...I don't remember how long I've had it. I know over a year, maybe two.  I remembered the thing about the spot on the slide switch and moved it around to diff locations but it didn't help.  After taking out the element and checking with a meter I think it's just fried.  I think it acts as a big 600 watt resistor and it just give up the goat!

I'd appreciate it if Brian would take care of it but if not.. I'm not going to fret about it.  If it doesn't cost too much I might buy two but I hope this is not a constant problem because I've not used the smoker that much, maybe a dozen times.

Brian, if you would... I need a contact number reference this part.

JD

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi JD

You can call our customer service dept. @ 1-800-665-4188
They are not open until Tuesday (Its our Thanksgiving day on Monday)

The part you need is a heat element

Brian

Quarlow

And that is the technical term for it (Heat Element) lol
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Couldn't this problem also be caused by the in-line fuse, or the temperature limit switch?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Habs

It could be but he took the element out and checked it for continuity and it failed based on his post.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Oldman

I had this problem once. This why I now have a spare element. Just a thought.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Oldman on October 12, 2009, 03:45:02 AM

Olds would you be so kind as to tell me where you got the extra element from? Bradley or elsewhere?

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 12, 2009, 12:49:21 PM
Quote from: Oldman on October 12, 2009, 03:45:02 AM

Olds would you be so kind as to tell me where you got the extra element from? Bradley or elsewhere?

HR

Yard and Pool sells them I think there about $15.00

JDNC

HR,  I just ordered one from Yard & Pool.  I didn't want to wait until Tues to call Bradley customer service.  I needed a few other things as well..like two extra rubber feet to put behind the front large feet and raise the front up and take the load off the plastic control panel.

Now...you know my intials don't stand for Jack Daniels don't you. ::)

JD

begolf25

Quote from: JDNC on October 12, 2009, 03:32:13 PM
HR,  I just ordered one from Yard & Pool.  I didn't want to wait until Tues to call Bradley customer service.  I needed a few other things as well..like two extra rubber feet to put behind the front large feet and raise the front up and take the load off the plastic control panel.

JD

JD,

Thank you for the order. Your items will go out tomorrow and you will have them by Thursday. Thanks again.

Bryan

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: JDNC on October 12, 2009, 03:32:13 PM

JD

Thanks JD and OU for the info. I will check Y&P today and check with Bryan if they ship internationally. I do need few items from them.

Jd I know your name does not stand for Jack Daniels but I cant help to think of it every time I read your initials.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.