15 Bean 'Chili'

Started by squirtthecat, October 11, 2009, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I'll leave 'Chili' in quotes, as there are preferences either way..

NOTE: This was done in my pressure cooker.

This one, however, is ALL about the beans.  15 of them, in fact.

(toss the seasoning packet)

Give the beans a good rinse/soak - I go about 30 minutes in a colander in a bowl under the faucet.

I put in a quart of low salt beef stock, a quart of water, and 2 cans of these:

I added a healthy dose of curry powder and some Bacon Salt.

18 minutes under pressure later...  Release steam.

Rough chopped one onion, and a pound+ of smoked turkey sausage.  Dump in:

Give it 5-7 more minutes under pressure...   

Let pressure come down naturally.   Cool down and into the fridge.

Next day..

Reheat:

And serve:

classicrockgriller

You and KyNola are doing some mighty tastee cold weather foods today. Looks great.

Question: If you have 15 beans........how do you know which one to blame it on?

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 11, 2009, 07:43:45 PM
You and KyNola are doing some mighty tastee cold weather foods today

No comparison.  He's cooking from scratch, I'm was just dumping and pressing buttons!

15 might be 17..   :D

Bean Ingredients:

NORTHERN
PINTO
LARGE LIMA
BLACKEYE
GARBANZO
BABY LIMA
GREEN SPLIT PEA
KIDNEY
CRANBERRY BEAN
SMALL WHITE
PINK BEAN
SMALL RED
YELLOW SPLIT PEA
LENTIL NAVY
WHITE KIDNEY
BLACK BEAN
PEARL BARLEY

classicrockgriller

Geez...that makes it even harder

KyNola

STC,
Jan and I use that very same bean mixture for a very similar soup.  Love the way yours is looking.  We do have a tendency to add the meat from smoked turkey legs or(you ready for this?) pulled pork butt. :o

KyNola 

Tenpoint5

I'm not a purist I like beans in my chili. Even had corn and mushroom thown in there a couple of times. Looks good.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

You dont have to. Just "wag the dog".

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. Chili is always better the next day.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on October 11, 2009, 08:09:49 PM
STC,
Jan and I use that very same bean mixture for a very similar soup.  Love the way yours is looking.  We do have a tendency to add the meat from smoked turkey legs or(you ready for this?) pulled pork butt. :o

KyNola 

Yeah, I love that 15(ish) bean mix.

I was rummaging around in the freezer for something else to throw in, but all I had left is some sliced turkey.  That would have disintegrated..    Pork would be good.   Maybe pre-cook the beans and toss them in the smoker with ketchup, shot of mustard, brown sugar, pulled pork, etc. and slow cook them that way?   "15-Way Bradley Pit Beans"

The first time I made it was the 'traditional' method on the package.  Soak overnight, rinse, simmer for 3+ hours, add veggies, simmer more..   Took all d@mn day and a half to get a bowl of soup.

The pressure cooker is the way to go for this!   

smokeitall

I think I will try some 15 bean chili this weekend.  I might throw in some cubed up venison in there also.  Looks great squirt.  I love the Rotel also  :) 

I got a recipe from a buddy that used Rotel and he called it Man Dip.   1 can of Rotel with the green chilis, 1 lb cream cheese, 1 lb spicy breakfast sausage...Use Fritos and dip.  Now that is a great football snack.
SIA

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 12, 2009, 06:50:54 AM
Quote from: KyNola on October 11, 2009, 08:09:49 PM
STC,

KyNola 

Yeah, I love that 15(ish) bean mix.

I was rummaging around in the freezer for something else to throw in, but all I had left is some sliced turkey.  That would have disintegrated..    Pork would be good.   Maybe pre-cook the beans and toss them in the smoker with ketchup, shot of mustard, brown sugar, pulled pork, etc. and slow cook them that way?   "15-Way Bradley Pit Beans"

The first time I made it was the 'traditional' method on the package.  Soak overnight, rinse, simmer for 3+ hours, add veggies, simmer more..   Took all d@mn day and a half to get a bowl of soup.

The pressure cooker is the way to go for this!   

Cut the turkey into 1/4" -1/2" cubes and throw it in at the very end. Just enough time to have the meat warm through.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rdevous

I use the Goya 16 Bean Soup mix.  I remove the garbanzo (chick peas) beans for later.  Rinse them good, then I soak the beans over night and change the water in the morning.  I take the garbanzo beans and turn them into a powder in the processor to use as a thickener later.  I drain the beans and put then into a heavy bottom soup pot and fill with water to about 2 1/2 inches above the beans. I bring this to a boil, add chopped celery (leaves too) and carrots and turn down to simmer for an hour.  In the mean time I brown a pound or more of crumbled Italian sausage, drain and add to the soup.  I add water as needed to keep the soup loose.  I also add a defrosted box of chopped spinach.  When the beans are soften to your preference, make a slurry with the garbanzo powder and water and add to the soup.  Cook a few minutes more to thicken.

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!