New, can't wait until it comes in

Started by jimwaltman, October 12, 2009, 07:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimwaltman

Ordered a 4 rack digital.  New to smoking also but am dying to try it.   I like what i am seeing on the forum.  Was wondering........  The biscuits are not cheap.  Plan on smoking, venison, fish, and beef.  Which biscuits do i need?    Also,  saw where someone ordered a Maverick Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer.  Is that something I need?   Will be posting soon.

Quarlow

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. You will love it here. As far as which bisquettes to use, it is a matter of choice. You might like one while someone else likes another.
Mesquite -very strong
Hickory - strong
Oak - strong but not overpowering
pecan - mild version of Oak
Maple - mild
Cherry - mild & fruity
Apple - mild, fruity,slight sweetness
Alder - light with a hint of sweetness
The Maverick remote thermometer is definatly nice to have so you don't have to keep going out and check your temps you just pull it out of your pocket. But you have a digital smoker so it will maintian your tower temp very well. The thing is that you will want to watch your IT( internal temp) of your meat closely so you know when to take it out. So you should always use a thermo. I started with a cheap one with a wire and just left it on the top of my smoker. Now I have a wireless and so can go about my business (as i have a original Bradley smoker"OBS") and know what is going on inside the the meat. But the maverick has 3 probes so you can know the temp of the meat and the temp in the tower at the sametime
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Jim.
Give Brian a call at www.yardandpool.com He should be able to get you a maverick on the way. There's quite a few that have him on speed dial.
Biscuit flavor is what you like in your area or what ever fits your fancy.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Amazon.com always runs a 4-for-3 special, that is the best way to stock up on pucks.  You won't find them any cheaper than that.

I'm an Apple/Pecan/Oak fan myself.

Yes, get the maverick, it will save you many headaches in the future. (or at least trips to/from the smoker)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum jimwaltman!

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of this post, it will take you to our recipe site.

There is an FAQ section with the recipes that will answer some of your questions you haven't asked yet  ;D

You will probably want to order some "bubba" pucks. These go on your bisquette stack last and push the last bisquette off the burner.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome aboard Jim.  My friends have already sent you down the right path.  We're more than ready to help you with any questions you might have along the way so fire away.

KyNola

Caneyscud

WELCOME Jim!  You've come to the right place for smoking information.  The Bradley Smokers are great for producing smoked goodies!  And the guys and gals on this board can steer you to smokey gustatory heights never before imagined! 

The price of pucks does seem high at first, but they really aren't that bad until you weigh the other options.

If you can find them at $18 for a box a 48, then a 4 hour smoke time will be about $4.60.  The cost of electricity for the balance of the cook, is negligible.   Many, many members only smoke say a brisket for 3 to 5 hours and cook it the rest of the way without smoke.  If you have a simple charcoal burning Weber, it will still cost you 2 or 3 dollars for grilling - more for a low and slow cook.  If I fire up one of my off-sets or maybe one of my big-un's - for that same brisket it would cost me about $12 or more in lump and chunks - or about the same amount in hickory cut by someone else.  If I did cut it myself - factoring in saws, trucks, safety equipment, time, gas, etc...it would probably cost more than that!  A gas grill doesn't seem to cost much, but that is for grilling - with the cost of LP nowadays, a long slow cook would probably cost more than $10 plus the cost of any smoking wood.  A pellet pooper would cost $15 to $20 for the same brisket.  So while it seems high, it really isn't!  When I have one or two things to smoke - they go into the Bradley, but when I have say 7 briskets - they go into my bigger toys...errr tools!  The pellet pooper gets calls for just about everything from brisket to burgers and dogs, and is resigned to the office - it's a secret from my wife - sshhhh!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Welcome to the fun

My friends have gave you some good info the only thing i can think of is that you dont need to smoke the whole time 2 to 4 hr is plenty the rest of the time you are only cooking your product.

2 hr Apple or Alder for poultry and fish
3 to 4 hr Pecan for pork butt

Just to name a few

dbrown1

Welcome aboard Jim, glad to have ya... I would have to agree with the others they are a knowledgeable bunch.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Jim and welcome to the world of Bradley "gustatory heights" addiction.

All before me have given you excellant advise. I would second the recomendation for the Maverick. I also saw that you are concerned about the price of the wood brisquettes therefore I would strongly recommend FLRB's advice to purchase the Bubba pucks. Those will work in lieu of the wood to advance your last three wood pucks. So if you are smoking for lets say 4 hours, you will need 12 wooden pucks for the smoke and then three more to help the last one advance to the burner. Then you would have three wasted. The bubba pucks you can use for the task forever.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

smokeitall

Welcome Aboard Jim, make sure you check out the recipe site...lot a great stuff there.  Info and some great recipes.
SIA

pensrock

Welcome aboard.

One thing to remember is, you only need to use pucks (smoke) for 1-4 hours with the Bradley. So if you are doing a pork butt and it takes 16-18 hours, you are still only smoking for 3-4 hours. (9-12 pucks)

classicrockgriller

Well Jim, not much more to say but, WELCOME ! As you can see if you post a question, you will get help.

You can download the manual while you are waiting and get yourself familiar with what you are going to
be looking at before your Bradley gets here.

Also we like to stare at pics of smoked food so you can learn that also.

Try this link to get your pictures going.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Remember you have to season your smoker first.
If you are a rookie smoker....keep the first smoke kinda simple (chicken, ABT's, etc.)

Good Luck and get to smokin........Ask if you have questions

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Jim!
We're looking forward to you getting your new Bradley, too.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Jim

Dont need to say more than everyone else has already said.

nepas