Early Moring Smoke

Started by gotbbq, March 01, 2005, 01:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotbbq

Fellow adventurers,

Every time I have extra space in the bs, I try smoking something new.  I did a cold smoke of fresh ground coffee.  After smoking at 65 degrees for an hour, I made a pot of coffee.  I'm not one who likes flavored coffees so I was skeptical.  I thought it was great. Still great coffee flavor with a touch of smoke.  Kind of like drinking coffee near an open campfire.  Don't tell Starbucks or it will be the next hot thing.[;)]

gotbbq

oguard

Gotbbq I would have never thought of smoking coffee[:D].I am gonna give that a try.Is that a dark roast coffee you used or what?

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS">
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

gotbbq

oguard

I used columbian, whole beans that I ground before smoking.  I guess a medium roast.  I cold smoked it thinking to keep the "oils" in.

gotbbq

BigSmoker

I cold smoked some whole beans a while back using apple wood.  They smelled really good but after grinding and brewing had no smoke flavor[:(].  I would also reccommend already ground for this experiment.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

gotbbq

BigSmoker-
I did the same.  First whole beans, no flavor, then ground, good smoke flavor.

gotbbq

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

nothing like having a cup of coffee and a smoke in the morning . I perfer menthol . [:D] OH wrong kind of smoking coffee. sorry.[;)]

gotbbq

Rob,

Actually, the best you can get is a cup of joe and hemmingway classic[:)]  Waiting for the warm weather.

gotbbq

psdubl07

Wow, that's a good idea.  I love hearing about different things to smoke rather than just those yucky old ribs, brisket, and butts. [;)]

A local burger joint here makes this zippy ketchup for their fries, it's really good.  I finally asked what they put in it and to my utter dismay/pleasure the girl says, "Oh, we smoke our own vinegar here and put that in the ketchup." [:0]
How in the heck do you smoke vinegar?  I guess just pour some in a disposable aluminum pan and fire it up?

Speaking of coffee, I found this while perusing another board.  I have some tenderloins in the freezer and would like to try this on at least one of them.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0351.htm

nsxbill

How many lay strips of bacon over their coffee beans....That is supposed to make you smile![:D]  I roast my own coffee as Jeff does, but on a much smaller scale.  One of these days I am going to try smoking the beans just as they come out of the roaster to infuse a little smoky flavor.  I don't think I will ever grind ahead of time and then smoke the grounds.... the coffee goes down hill after it is ground...and I do like fresh ground coffee.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>

Speaking of coffee, I found this while perusing another board.  I have some tenderloins in the freezer and would like to try this on at least one of them.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0351.htm
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You should try it its very good.  I've never cooked this in my Bradley but definitely good in a ceramic cooker.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I love hearing about different things to smoke rather than just those yucky old ribs, brisket, and butts.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We better watch this guy ps.....Maybe he's the little guy from Japan in cog-nee-toe....hummm.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

MW, I saw the Japan thing referenced in another post, but I'm in the dark.  Someone 'splain it to me. [?]

Jeff, I'm planning on doing those tenderloins soon, but I'll be gone this weekend, so prob next.  I'll let ya know how they turn out.

Anyone have any ideas about the vinegar thing?

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Someone 'splain it to me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There is guy from Japan that posts spam about "reducing your smoking sensation", Kirk gets to it pretty quick and dumps it.  He seems to be landing one about one a week or so.  We can't seem to get rid of him.  I think he has to be a quart or so low,  he probably can't find the differance between smoking cigs and what we are about.  

NOW LETS GET BACK TO YOU...... <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm planning on doing those tenderloins soon<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">nice to see you are back on the band wagon...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

gotbbq

nsxbill
The key is to have the wife get up early and smoke the grounds and brew the coffee fresh  ahhh, if it were only so . . .

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />How many lay strips of bacon over their coffee beans....That is supposed to make you smile![:D]  I roast my own coffee as Jeff does, but on a much smaller scale.  One of these days I am going to try smoking the beans just as they come out of the roaster to infuse a little smoky flavor.  I don't think I will ever grind ahead of time and then smoke the grounds.... the coffee goes down hill after it is ground...and I do like fresh ground coffee.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

gotbbq

simmy

This sounds good.. what did you put the beans or grounds in? did you just use a coffee filter? I thought about using a coffee filter for smoking nuts in. Any ideas if that will work?

Steve