Gobble Gobble..

Started by squirtthecat, October 14, 2009, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

NePas can probably get these for free :D, but I got them through our cafeteria lady for $2.52 a pound w/ her employee discount..

20 pounds, all white meat, skin on.

Hellloooooooo Thanksgiving.   One my be my first 'charity smoke' installment...
Gotta check with the lucky winners first.  She asked about a turkey, but she was thinking 'whole bird'.

FLBentRider

Yeah...

They'll be Gobble Gobbling it up!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

That's a gobble of a deal squirt, I see you gobbled up two.

ArnieM

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, a box-o-turkey.  Are the wings removed?  Thanks for the 'pen' to give an idea of size.  I'm waiting ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 14, 2009, 12:29:47 PM
That's a gobble of a deal squirt, I see you gobbled up two.

That's all that will fit in my freezer right now.  Somebody came home with 18 pounds of pork butt, and a brisket and filled the bottom.   :D

She's got another case in her freezer here at the office.   That will be my 'strategic reserve' if she doesn't have anything planned for them...  (she can order more on a Thursday and have them Monday night)

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on October 14, 2009, 12:31:57 PM
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, a box-o-turkey.  Are the wings removed?  Thanks for the 'pen' to give an idea of size.  I'm waiting ...

Yeah, this is just the whole breast, bone removed, and pumped/injected with a sodium/sugar solution to bulk them up.  (might actually be 2 of them fused together)   They'll shrink a bit when I cook them, but they are still Turkeyzillas in the end.   

I used to get them all the time, but Purdue stopped selling them to the general public - only foodservice providers.

pensrock

I bought a whole turkey breast yesterday, I think I'm going to spatchcock it then some some and then roast it. Need to wait till it thaws out first though.

NePaSmoKer

Gobble Gobble

I wish i could get em for free  :D

Gobble Gobble

nepas

ArnieM

Quote from: pensrock on October 14, 2009, 01:51:42 PM
I bought a whole turkey breast yesterday, I think I'm going to spatchcock it then some some and then roast it. Need to wait till it thaws out first though.

That sounds like a real ordeal.  BIG breast bone in there, not like some wimpy chicken.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on October 14, 2009, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: pensrock on October 14, 2009, 01:51:42 PM

That sounds like a real ordeal.  BIG breast bone in there, not like some wimpy chicken.

I'd like to see the outcome of that as well..   The bone-in ones around here are quite a bit cheaper than the regular ones.

pensrock

QuoteThat sounds like a real ordeal.  BIG breast bone in there, not like some wimpy chicken.

AH but I'm a big man.  :)
I'm not about to let a turkey get the best of me.  ::) ;D

ArnieM

OK Pens, let's see the result.  He's up, He's down, He's up, He's down.  Goin' for the count now ...
-- Arnie