1st Try at Smoking Cheese

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, October 16, 2009, 04:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Finally had a chance to try smoking some cheese today. Picked up some pepper jack, colby and baby swiss. Also had some 5 year old cheddar so used some of that to. Made up the cardboard box cold smoke attachment, had the aluminum dryer hose on hand so I was all set to go. Air temperature was about 50 deg today and the smoke chamber never got over 73 degrees so it worked pretty well.

Ready to go.

In the smoker.

After1:40 smoking.

Vac sealed for the long wait.  :D

HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

way to go Hawkeye. Looks like you got some good smoke applied to it. I will be trying again soon as my first batch was unimpressive to me. The old cheddar was fine but the mozza and the german swiss only had a smoky smell but no taste. Had a power problem that I have straightened out. so the next batch should be good. But the waiting is a killer.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

HS. Now the pain begins..... waiting and waiting and w.......

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Quarlow on October 16, 2009, 04:13:26 PM... But the waiting is a killer.

I usually try to do a big batch just before I go on a trip. That way I don't have to be reminded every day that it's not ready yet and by the time I get home, it usually is.  Since I usually go off-island at least 3-4 times a year, the biggest problem is storing enough to last several months at once.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 16, 2009, 04:50:41 PM
Quote from: Quarlow on October 16, 2009, 04:13:26 PM... But the waiting is a killer.

I usually try to do a big batch just before I go on a trip. That way I don't have to be reminded every day that it's not ready yet and by the time I get home, it usually is.  Since I usually go off-island at least 3-4 times a year, the biggest problem is storing enough to last several months at once.

Great idea. Will do that next time I leave home.

HR

classicrockgriller

Looking good HES. What wood did you use?

Guess I'll have to do that. Love me some cheese.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Hawkeye, have I ever told you that Hawkeye was one on my all time favorite TV characters ever.

HR

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 16, 2009, 07:22:56 PM
Looking good HES. What wood did you use?

Guess I'll have to do that. Love me some cheese.

I used apple CRG. It's my try first at cheese and I like apple a lot, so thought I'd try it. Adjust from there. The cardboard box cold smoker is pretty easy to make. And for you in Texas, there would be some pretty simple ways to keep the temperature down. I do need to make a longer sensor cord for my DBS. The cheese smelled great when I pulled it out. And waiting won't be to bad as I am gone from home for work at least 5 nights a week!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 16, 2009, 07:27:43 PM
Hey Hawkeye, have I ever told you that Hawkeye was one on my all time favorite TV characters ever.

HR

No you didn't HR. But that is where the name comes from. He was my favorite from Mash, got a nickname in the 70's and it stuck. I just wish we had that kind of programs on TV now.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

CRG when your weather cools off a bit. Put a foil boat on the bottom rack and fill it with Ice then run your SG I did my last batch when it was 70 outside and the cabinet didn't go above 66*
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

That day is today....we are finally getting that front you guys had.

55 in the morn and 75 in the day

won't last long I'm sure

classicrockgriller

Did you guys see the post on the tailgate recipe contest?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 16, 2009, 07:44:57 PM
That day is today....we are finally getting that front you guys had.

55 in the morn and 75 in the day

won't last long I'm sure
Then you best be getting some cheese in the smoker in the morning then.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 16, 2009, 07:47:32 PM
Did you guys see the post on the tailgate recipe contest?

No, I missed that one. Got a link?
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

I want to make some cheese like the other post, that would be kewl.

I'll get it for ya. HES