Guidance from the Sausage Experts?

Started by standles, October 16, 2009, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standles

All:

I have been wanting to start sausage making for a while.  I scoured this site and a couple others I found.   After much wrangling with what I needed and a budget  I got my hardware inbound.

Northern tools:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200004374_200004374
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36989_36989
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308623_200308623

I am now on information overload.   I figure until I get some experience I needed to stick to "kits" for first tries.  Do you have any suggestions for Summer Sausage and "slim jim" kits?

Also I know of Rytek's book and will be getting it.  But are there other books you recommend.  Nepa a scanned copy of your notebook would be great :)

Finally, where do you buy your spices "Hot hungarian paprika/Smoked paprika/fermento etc and cures for your "from scratch" recipes?

Finally,  I notice "keep internal temp to ...degree but never see any holes poked in the pictures of the sausages.  Are you probing them or just know?

Sorry for being the noob but I want to do all I can to make sure my first attempt is good so I wil continue.

Thanks, Steven

Habanero Smoker

You may want to hold off on the meat mixer, if you are doing small batches. You may find that mixing by hand or by a stand mixer (if you have one) will be sufficient. I would try that first; you may find you do not need a meat mixer.

Here is a link to books commonly used; scroll down to the Meat Curing & Sausage Making section:
Books

Here is a link to favorite vendors:
Vendors

For sausage and curing I mainly use Sausage Maker. For spices I use mainly Penzey's, or Spices ETC.

Most use one probe in one sausage as a base line. When that sausage gets up to the correct IT, they will either take the sausage out, or use an instant read to check a few other sausages then pull them out. If you get a Thermapen it make the task faster, and it makes smaller holes in your sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

I also use The Spice House for spices.  The owners are related to Penzey.  The Spice House has a little more variety than Penzey's including cure   http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/curing-salt     

BigJohnT

I'm not a sausage expert but Don't start smoking at 1pm unless your a night owl, or use the steam method to bring your sausages to the final IT if you do start in the evening. Make your first batch small like no bigger than 5 pounds as it will be your learning tool and may not be the best sausage you ever make but will most likely taste good.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 17, 2009, 05:50:05 AM
I'm not a sausage expert but Don't start smoking at 1pm unless your a night owl, or use the steam method to bring your sausages to the final IT if you do start in the evening. Make your first batch small like no bigger than 5 pounds as it will be your learning tool and may not be the best sausage you ever make but will most likely taste good.

I have to disagree with you Big John. It will always be the best sausage BECAUSE YOU made it!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Piker

Good choise of equipment it is exactly the same as I use and brought from Northern Tool. The mixer is great but I dont use it unless I have enough to fill it as it is  hard to clean it,takes about 20 min. after using it for only 15 min. Piker

standles

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I can't wait for the first batch.   

I guess I will have to keep monitoring this thread to make sure I catch it when Nepa posts his notebook.  ;D

smokeitall

One of my favorite sites for getting the needed supplies for sausage is http://www.butcher-packer.com/
SIA

BigJohnT

I second the Butcher & Packer outfit... good stuff, fair price, fast shipping.

John

smokeitall

Wow your still up JT, you making some late night sausage again  ;D
SIA

NePaSmoKer

If your going to do lots of sausage get a good stuffer with metal gears.

nepas

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on October 17, 2009, 07:18:18 PM
SIA

Nope, I learned my lesson well on that first batch.

JT

Roadking

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 22, 2009, 04:44:25 AM
Quote from: smokeitall on October 17, 2009, 07:18:18 PM
SIA

Nope, I learned my lesson well on that first batch.

JT
My first batch of Kielbasa about 15 years ago I was up around 12 midnight and fell a sleep. I was into about 6 hours of smokehouse when I lost it and woke up at 8:30 in the morning. Almost sold all my Kielbasa to the police academy as Night sticks.

muzzletim

Your getting some great advice from some really good smokers. I like to run my probe into the end of the sausage. That way you do not have a hole in your sausage that does not look to good.
Tim

standles

Thanks for the advice guys.   Stuffer and Grinder arrived today.  Iknow they were not top o line stuff but I figure if I try it and like it then I can upgrade as I go.  I agree if I become as hooked as I did on brining and smoking chicken  then I will be upgrading soon :)

I think I am going to try the Adouille (sp?) first.  That way I can do Gumbo and Jambalaya to boot.

Steven