• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pumpkin Pies last weekend...

Started by ExpatCanadian, October 17, 2009, 01:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

It's been a hectic week, so I'm just getting around to posting this now.  As the Canucks on the forum will know, we've just had Canadian Thanksgiving this past week, and last weekend I had a bunch of folks around for a big traditional Thanksgiving dinner here in London.  An American, an Aussie and a Kiwi tagged along too...  but we decided to let them stay ;D.  Anyway, served up a nice big brined turkey with all the fixin's...  was fantastic.  But, that's not really what this post is about.  I served a couple of pumpkin pies from a new (to me) recipe....  and they were the best I've ever had:

Fresh pumpkins from the market, ready to roast....

Hot from the oven.... slightly caramelised....

Scooping out the goop

Mixed until smooth....

Spices, eggs, evaporated milk added....  pouring into the shells...

And the finished product!

I certainly can't take credit for the recipe, I normally use my Mom's which starts with a can of Libby's pumpkin and has been my favourite pie my whole life.  But I thought I'd try something new this year and start with fresh pumpkins.  The recipe I used can be found here: http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php

Enjoy!

classicrockgriller

I am a pumpkin pie freak, especially a good one.

What kinda pumpkin was that?

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

CRG,
They picked those pumpkins while they were green! :D

Seriously good looking pie.

KyNola

Quarlow

I am all about any kind of pie but pumpkin is the tops. That is till I decided to make a sweet potato pie last year. Damn that was good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 17, 2009, 01:55:54 AM

QuoteThey picked those pumpkins while they were green!  :D

Guys...  not sure what kind of pumpkins they were in terms of variety.  I actually tested a few different varieties starting with the classic orange jack 'o lantern ones....  but after much research and speaking to a nice girl at the local market who grows loads of different varieties she suggested these green ones because they have really nice smooth sweet orange flesh (yeah... who knew?).  She was right...  they were good.

Apparently, butternut squash is good sub for a real pumpkin if you need something in a pinch....  supposedly can't tell the difference.  If the green ones hadn't worked out, they would have been my next attempt.

deb415611

expat,

Those pies look great.  I'm going to add sugar pumpkins to my farm order for next week! :)

Deb

Quarlow

While we are on the subject of substituting things, has anyone here tried the "Ritz Apple Pie". It is made with Ritz crackers in stead of apples. When I was a kid my dad got mom to make one cause their friend was such an apple pie freak. They fed it to him and he never knew it wasn't apple pie. They had to show him the recipe. Then I saw the recipe on the back of the box one time and had to try it. It was pretty darn good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on October 17, 2009, 09:37:13 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 17, 2009, 01:55:54 AM

QuoteThey picked those pumpkins while they were green!  :D

Guys...  not sure what kind of pumpkins they were in terms of variety.  I actually tested a few different varieties starting with the classic orange jack 'o lantern ones....  but after much research and speaking to a nice girl at the local market who grows loads of different varieties she suggested these green ones because they have really nice smooth sweet orange flesh (yeah... who knew?).  She was right...  they were good.

Apparently, butternut squash is good sub for a real pumpkin if you need something in a pinch....  supposedly can't tell the difference.  If the green ones hadn't worked out, they would have been my next attempt.

That kind of looks like a buttercup squash or at least a close variety to it. If it is, the butternut is very similer in taste and texture. I've used both varieties for making pumpkin bars but have yet to use them in a pie. It looks and sounds great.
HawkeyeSmokes

monty

Quote from: Quarlow on October 17, 2009, 09:43:05 AM
While we are on the subject of substituting things, has anyone here tried the "Ritz Apple Pie". It is made with Ritz crackers in stead of apples. When I was a kid my dad got mom to make one cause their friend was such an apple pie freak. They fed it to him and he never knew it wasn't apple pie. They had to show him the recipe. Then I saw the recipe on the back of the box one time and had to try it. It was pretty darn good.

wow i've never even heard of this before. i have to try it!
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Quarlow

Here is the recipe from the ritz website. Give it a try you just never know.

Ritz mock Apple Pie

pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie

36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups crumbs)

2 cups sugar

2 tsp. cream of tartar

Grated peel of 1 lemon

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Roll out half of the pastry and place in 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in crust; set aside.

MIX sugar and cream of tartar in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in 1-3/4 cups water until well blended. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes. Add lemon peel and juice; cool. Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with butter; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll out remaining pastry; place over pie. Trim; seal and flute edges. Slit top crust to allow steam to escape.

BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden. Cool completely.

OBS
BBQ