• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Peameal Bacon ("Canadian Bacon")

Started by monty, October 18, 2009, 04:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

There was a recent thread where I remarked about how 'Canadian Bacon' as it exists in the USA, isn't really that prevalent here in Canada.

What is referred to more commonly as 'Canadian Bacon' here, is actually Peameal Bacon. Peameal is cured pork loin rolled in corn meal. It is not smoked.

It's usually eaten pan fried or grilled for breakfast, or on a sandwich/bun. If you're ever in Toronto check out the St. Lawerence Market - there are a bunch of vendors who do great peameal sandwiches.

Here's some photos!

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

HawkeyeSmokes

That looks pretty good Monty. Never have seen it here in the US where I'm at. Do you think curing a loin using Hab's recipe for Canadian bacon, then rolling in cornmeal (But not smoking) would produce a similar result?
HawkeyeSmokes

monty

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 18, 2009, 04:55:40 PM
That looks pretty good Monty. Never have seen it here in the US where I'm at. Do you think curing a loin using Hab's recipe for Canadian bacon, then rolling in cornmeal (But not smoking) would produce a similar result?

It is brined/cured in liquid unlike Hab's dry cured version. Habs mentioned he does make peameal though - I'm sure he'll be along to comment.

I've never tried the cured/smoked Canadian Bacon from the US either. Or scrapple, which intrigues me (but that's a whole 'nother thread! ;D)
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

classicrockgriller

Man I bet that would be killer Blacken in a creole spices.

Looks awesome, never seen it before.

Smokin Soon

I do have some Canadian friends that have stated that Hab's Canadian bacon is a winner, with or without the cornmeal. When I do roll the cornmeal I do add honey powder that gives a little sweet taste that seems to be missing in the true Peameal recipe

Habanero Smoker

Hi Monty;

Hi Monty;

That is some good looking bacon.

Yes, I always make peameal each time I make Canadian Bacon. It's good stuff. I will save about 1.5 - 3 pounds of a batch for peameal. Like you I do not smoke or cook my peameal before hand, but there are members that do. I use a coarse ground cornmeal to roll it in. Then prior to frying I will slice and most of the time dredge the bacon into fine cornmeal so that all surfaces are coated, and press firmly so the cornmeal sticks.

Quote from: Smokin Soon on October 18, 2009, 08:35:47 PM
I do have some Canadian friends that have stated that Hab's Canadian bacon is a winner, with or without the cornmeal. When I do roll the cornmeal I do add honey powder that gives a little sweet taste that seems to be missing in the true Peameal recipe

Smokin Soon;
I'm going to try that next time I make some peameal. That does sound good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakville smoker

Habs

Do you cure your peameal?  If you do, what goes into the cure and how long?
Inquiring minds want to know.

With thanks ...........
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Maybe I'm missing something here. What does the peameal bring to the table? Cured and not smoked, ok, I always thought Canadian bacon was not smoked but do not know why the peameal.

Carter

Along that thread, if you're ever in Toronto at the St. Lawrence Market, don't miss out on a Veal and Eggplant Sandwhich from Mustachios.  Mmm Mmm Mmm.

And don't miss the opportunity to talk to Bob at Upper Cut Meats.  He's the best butcher in town in my books.

Carter

P.S.  Bacon looks delicious.  I brought lunch today, but may wander down to the market tomorrow for one of those sandwiches.

monty

Quote from: pensrock on October 19, 2009, 08:50:21 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here. What does the peameal bring to the table? Cured and not smoked, ok, I always thought Canadian bacon was not smoked but do not know why the peameal.

pens - the cornmeal really doesn't add any flavor. from what i understand the bacon was originally rolled in peameal/cornmeal as a preservative. not necessary by today's standards. peameal bacon is brined and cured, no smoke. Canadian Bacon, as it is known in the USA, is dry-cured then smoked (according to users here).

FLB - see i'm not sure if Habs recipe can be followed to make true peameal bacon. peameal is soaked in a brine solution made with pickling salts. with some peameal you can really taste the pickled flavour.
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

Habanero Smoker

When I make my Canadian bacon using a dry rub, I use some of it of peameal. As FLB pointed out, I follow the directions through step #12. Then if I want to make peameal I will set a certain amount aside. Cure loins whether you use a dry cure (dry brine) or pickle (wet brine) are acceptable for back bacon, Canadian bacon and peameal bacon. Most commercial places prefer pickling because it is faster. The method of curing is an individual choice. I prefer using a dry cure, because for myself it gives it a better texture; and I find if you are using cure #1 or TQ the flavors are very similar.

From what I understand not all back bacon (cured pork loin) in Canada is rolled in peameal.

When I fry peameal I can taste the nutty flavor of the corn meal, even the times I don't dredge it prior to frying. That is the main reason I like it, and always make some.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)