Pizza Sauce

Started by BigJohnT, October 21, 2009, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Quote from: Pachanga on October 22, 2009, 06:04:20 AM
BigJohnT

This web site New York Stye pizza is more than you will ever want to know about pizza but it is worth reading and following.  He covers a lot of canned tomato brands

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

His dough works for NY style.  I do not use his oven technique but arrive at something similar by placing a pizza stone two racks from the top and preheating to 500 degrees.  Then turn to broil a few minutes before putting the pizza in the oven.  This fellow does not make a sauce.  He just uses the canned tomatoes.  It works.

Lastly, the Super Peel (http://www.superpeel.com/) has changed my frustration level by letting me use wet dough and still be able to get it off the counter.  It works as advertised and is worth every penny.

The dream of course is a wood fired pizza oven but I doubt it will ever be justified.

Pachanga

We do seem to be on a similar page :D   A wood fired pizza oven is my dream, ultimate dream is to actually have it in my kitchen.

I do not use Varasano's oven technique either - it scares me.  He has gone to his ultimate dream now and opened a pizza place in Atlanta - I have seen mixed reviews. 

I don't do the top pizza stone any longer, just the bottom & I preheat & cook at 550 degrees.  I cook most of the way on the stone then move to the top rack if I need a little more browning on the top.

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on October 24, 2009, 06:04:18 PM
OK I will throw big brother Bradley in the truck on my way down this week (as long as its not raining).  I will show you what I am thinking of doing, get your suggestions and get r done.  As soon as I get that up and running I will get going on the fridge and get it working.  Definitely time to make some pepperoni.  I think I'm going to use your idea for regulating the temperature, probably have a lot of questions for Habs also.  Only thing I will need is a humidifier.   I throw the OBS in there also to do some minor modifications  ;D 
SIA

Looks like rain all week here so you might only bring the OBS this week. I have a huge pile of rails for 12 rack conversions done as well as a medium pile of JT Pucks.

JT

JGW

I actually use crushed tomatoes as pizza sauce.  Then I drizzle just a tad bit of olive oil, and some black pepper on it.  Then top.  (I do at times put some red pepper flakes and a couple of turns of a an italian spice grinder on it as well).

Sounds simple, but its taste is amazing.  We've had people over for pizza night, and they thought it was great.  (One of their kids saw me at the store a week or so later and asked if I could make him a pizza)   ;D

deb415611

Quote from: JGW on October 25, 2009, 06:43:56 PM
I actually use crushed tomatoes as pizza sauce.  Then I drizzle just a tad bit of olive oil, and some black pepper on it.  Then top.  (I do at times put some red pepper flakes and a couple of turns of a an italian spice grinder on it as well).

Sounds simple, but its taste is amazing.  We've had people over for pizza night, and they thought it was great.  (One of their kids saw me at the store a week or so later and asked if I could make him a pizza)   ;D

Kids are funny that way.  You can tell when parents don't do alot of scratch cooking.  I once had one of my son's friends ask me if he could sleep over our house again and would I make waffles :D

Pachanga

QuotePosted by: deb415611
QuoteI don't do the top pizza stone any longer, just the bottom & I preheat & cook at 550 degrees.  I cook most of the way on the stone then move to the top rack if I need a little more browning on the top.

Deb,

I may not have made myself clear.  I place a pizza stone on the second shelf from the top and this is where I place my pizza.  The oven preheats to as high as possible (mine is 500F).  Turning to broil before putting the pizza in raises the stone temperature even more and then it cooks the top of the pizza quickly.  With a wet dough, the hot pizza stone produces a nice tan crusty bottom but the pizza will still fold taco style for eating.  The cheese is bubbling, starting to brown and ready in 3 1/2 to 5 minutes kind of like the Varasano web site only a little slower.

I believe the radiant heat of the broiler duplicates the super heat of Vasasano.

Thanks for all of your intelligent and useful posts.

Good luck and fast pizza.

Pachanga 

FLBentRider

Quote from: deb415611 on October 26, 2009, 04:08:13 AM
Kids are funny that way.  You can tell when parents don't do alot of scratch cooking.  I once had one of my son's friends ask me if he could sleep over our house again and would I make waffles :D

LOL. Good food doesn't come out of a bag at a drive through....

I still remember the look of disbelief when I gave some of my pastrami to one of my teenaged daughters friends:

Me: "try this pastrami, I made it"
She: "you don't MAKE pastrami, you buy it"
Me: "not around here"
She: "Can I have some more?"
;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Quote from: Pachanga on October 28, 2009, 09:40:05 AM
QuotePosted by: deb415611
QuoteI don't do the top pizza stone any longer, just the bottom & I preheat & cook at 550 degrees.  I cook most of the way on the stone then move to the top rack if I need a little more browning on the top.

Deb,

I may not have made myself clear.  I place a pizza stone on the second shelf from the top and this is where I place my pizza.  The oven preheats to as high as possible (mine is 500F).  Turning to broil before putting the pizza in raises the stone temperature even more and then it cooks the top of the pizza quickly.  With a wet dough, the hot pizza stone produces a nice tan crusty bottom but the pizza will still fold taco style for eating.  The cheese is bubbling, starting to brown and ready in 3 1/2 to 5 minutes kind of like the Varasano web site only a little slower.

I believe the radiant heat of the broiler duplicates the super heat of Vasasano.

Thanks for all of your intelligent and useful posts.

Good luck and fast pizza.

Pachanga 

Wow, apparently I can't read. Somehow I read your post & thought you were using two stones.   I haven't moved my stone around in a couple years, I'll have to move it up and try your way next time.  I hate to move it though because it's heavy.  I have the fibrament that almost covers the entire rack.