jerky technequices

Started by loejukan, October 22, 2009, 05:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loejukan

how does everyone like to do there jerky? i hear people talking about doing it all in the DBS and some talking about doing half the time in the smoker and finishing the rest in the dehydrator. what are the pros and cons to both of these technique's. I'm new to the smoker part of making jerky but not the dehydrating part. any input would be appreciated.

thanks Joe

classicrockgriller

Hey Joe, What's ya doing with that jerky gun in your hand? (old Jimi Hendrix song)

Welcome to the forum. All the jerk experts will be here shortly.

The small amount of jerky I have done has been in dehydrator, so I am not much help.

But I did want to say Welcome to the forum.

BigJohnT

I do my jerky in my Bradley but it is highly modified LOL. The most difficult part about jerky is not cooking the lower racks near the heater and maintaining the lower temperatures. I see you have a digital so the temperature part should be easy. Just rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back every hour or so to keep the drying process from being a cooking process. Also keep the vent wide open when drying. Here is a link to my favorite jerky recipe.

JT

Quarlow

Yes keep your vent wide open and it has been said in the Bradley recipe book that came with my smoker to not use water it the puck bowl. And what Jt said I can vouch for as I just had a bad happening with my last batch of jerky. Move those racks and don't let the temp get to high. The bradley is a very efficent dehydrator with the added bonus of smoke. My brother does awesome jerky. 10 times better than anything you can buy.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

BigJohnT

Thanks brother... did you get some of that jerky I gave Scott?

JT

Quarlow

No I live a little to far north to share but sure looked good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

BigJohnT

I was pretty sure it didn't make it past Greenville, MO which is only 16 miles from here... But I thought I would check.

John

Quarlow

Hahaha We actually JT I should have been more clear, I was actually talking about My real brother But lol when I realised you thought I meant you me and my kid got a good chuckle out if it and I didn't know how to answer it without hurting you.But I know you make damn good jerky too.LOL

OBS
BBQ

BigJohnT

I knew that I was just ribbing you  ;D

John

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

Piker

Just purchased a Nesco Gardenmaster DeHy. with 1000 watt fan and heater and thermostat. It also has 8 trays and it says due to the air flow design you do not have to rotate trays. I will believe that after I try it which will be in the next couple of days. Will post results. Piker

smokeitall

Greenville.....HAH, I would need a full pound to make it all the way to Greenville before I ran out.  ;D
SIA

pensrock

I think the Bradley would work even better if it had a fan added to move the moisture out like a dehydrator does. I know some have added fans and I think it would make a big difference. I have not modified my tower so I do smoke and slightly dry jerky in the Bradley, then move it to a dehydrator to finish it.

Quarlow

Hey JT sells a fan kit. Looks good.

OBS
BBQ

pensrock

Quote from: Quarlow on October 23, 2009, 07:06:44 PM
Hey JT sells a fan kit. Looks good.

Yea, I might look into it. There is also one that can be placed over the vent to pull the air up through, its about $90.00. Need to get back to work and get caught up on some bills before getting any toys.