new to forum

Started by jh396, October 22, 2009, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jh396

I have had my smoker for about three years I mostly do turkeys for Thanksgiving, ribs and wings but this weekend we are having a bondfire and I would like to make some smoked ground deer chili does anyone have a recipe I could try? It would be greatly appreciated. I do like spicy/hot

Tenpoint5

I would suggest making your chili the way you normally do then place it into 2 9x9 tinfoil pans. Smoke at 200 for 1.5 hours with your favorite smoke and stirring every 1/2 hour. You wont be cooking the chili your just keeping it warm and imparting the smoke flavor into the top most surface area. after smoking then mix the two pans back together in the crock pot. Just a suggestion.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jh396

thanks for the suggestion
I had also thought about trying to hot smoke the ground deer first but wasn't sure how well that would work

classicrockgriller

jh, First, welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here and will visit again.

Just some thought on what you want to do. I would cook the ground beef/deer? up like you normally do.

Then put down a wet paper towel over the bradley rack and cover it with a wet paper towel and cold smoke it.

Just spray the towels every so often to keep meat from drying out.

Then procede to do what ten.5 has said. you should have some smoky chili

pensrock

And I have a different approach. I would rough chop my onions and peppers and put onto one of the bradley racks. Put the hamburger on another rack or onto a shallow foil sheet pan and put it on the lower rack. Preheat to 250 or so and smoke for 40-60 minutes. Then if the meat is not cooked enough finish it and chop the veggies and make the chili as you normally would. This way the meat/onions and peppers all get a little smoke and you make the chili how you like. I have done onions and peppers this way before and they pick up smoke fairly well. I have not done raw ground meat but see no reason why it would not work.

JoeHifi

Welcome to the forum jh396.

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum jh396

I would be interested in your outcome so do post results and let us which way you smoked you chilli

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

muzzletim

I am also curious like HR, please post some pictures and results. I never though of trying something like that.

Tim
Tim

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum jh396!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun jh396

I would smoke every thing including the tomatoes then make the chilli like you always do.

deb415611

Welcome JH

I would do it Pensrocks way.   I haven't done the meat before but have done the veggies.  I throw them in the smoker like this :

jh396

First of all thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions
second sorry no pics but I smoked the deer burger tonight and it turned out great
I smoked about 6 pounds. First I browned it just a little not fully cooking it then I smoking grate with foil and spread the burger on it and smoked it on about 150 for about 1 1/2 hours using hickory also had an onion on the top tray for same length of time.
So far so good let you know how everything goes tomorrow.
again thanks for the help