My first Jerky Attemp

Started by KevinG, October 23, 2009, 04:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Ditto!

All we can see are cornfields and grain elevators.  And a wind turbine..

KevinG

I want to thank everyone for the great comments and especially Pensrock for the great advice. The tray that I added the spices to after the brine definitely tastes better than the trays that I mixed the dry ingredients in the brine. I didn't come out tasting like the store bought, but it is absolutely edible!!!

Here is the meal fit for a king.

Notice I kept the good stuff for drinking and not putting in the meat.

Dinner for two anyone? (Sorry no guys allowed, other than me of course!)
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

smokeitall

Looks very good KevinG, would you change anything next time?
SIA

KevinG

Yea, I'm definitely going to leave the dry goods out until after I pull the meat out of the brine, big difference in taste when you do it that way. I'll probably change the sugar from dark brown to light brown, and if that doesn't work next time, I'll eliminate it altogether, it took away from the spicy taste that I like. I love the texture, it's not dry and crumbly but chewy. I'm hoping I can get a bag of the real stuff to compare it with by next time. I'm going to have to shop around.

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking jerky Kevin. To me the trick for making chewy jerky is to slice it with the grain. Any I've had sliced across the grain has been on the crumbly side.
HawkeyeSmokes

pensrock

Kevin, the jerky looks great. I think I would do away with the sugar next time. It may be just me but sweet and jerky just do not seem to go together. And your correct, sweetener will take away from the spicyness. (Is spicyness a word?)   ;D ;D

Caribou

Kevin,
Your jerky looks great and I enjoyed the pics you posted, too.
That last one makes me want a beer right now  :D
Carolyn

BigJohnT

Quote from: KevinG on October 23, 2009, 05:48:49 PM
Ok, here's my first picture. This is quite the feat on dial up. I'm not sure if it will work, because I didn't see the option to reduce the size, but here it goes anyhow. It is a picture of my 3 lbs of Flank Steak in my Jim Beam flavored brine.

Kevin get Gimp, it is a free open source image editor. Works in Windozs and  Linux for sure maybe even a Mac version too. You just open the image with Gimp and right click on the image and select Image/Scale Image then pick a different size. Just make sure your viewing it at 100% so it is the real size. I usually change the biggest to 640.

JT

KevinG

I'll have to try Gimp next time.

Oh, and by the way, can anyone say

Indi BURP gestion?

Wow, guess I'm getting too old to chow down on jerky & beer for dinner! Still worth the heartburn & Maalox though. I'll have to stock up for tonight. Plenty more Jerky to go.

Caneyscud

Or Picasa 3.  Strong and free photo editor and organizer.  I have CS3 and used to use Picasa quite a bit before getting my Mac, and now use IPhoto and CS3. 

You can also change the size and other aspects of the photo in Photobucket - if you use it as your photo sharing site.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

I do use photobucket, but the instructions that were given on the bradley forum website said to use the 15" screen which is the biggest option, and I could only find that if I did an edit on the picture.

Caneyscud

Quote from: KevinG on October 25, 2009, 01:30:53 PM
I do use photobucket, but the instructions that were given on the bradley forum website said to use the 15" screen which is the biggest option, and I could only find that if I did an edit on the picture.

Once in photobucket go to your album, click on the picture itself and it goes into an edit mode.  When you put your cursor over the photo, there appears a bar that shows several editing options - one is resize.  Roll up to that and it gives you several options on size that are available.  If you look at my last post on the Jack Daniel's contest.  That size is large - medium is smaller of course.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

So the results are in. I took a batch of my Jerky to work, and set it out AFTER everyone went to lunch. Within 20 minutes, word spread like wildfire and the entire plate was empty! Guess it turned out OK. I suspect that their lunch wasn't all that appetizing.

FLBentRider

Kudo's Kevin!

When I bring smoked food to the office, you don't want to be in the direct line from the cube farm to the lunchroom.... LOL
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Very nice all around. And welcome to the jerky club  ;D

nepas