My first Jerky Attemp

Started by KevinG, October 23, 2009, 04:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninjak

Ninjak

oops forgot something i am going to try this next week if you get time can you update the how to again since it says you would change some things around. Juat want to make sure i do it close to what you did I am not sure if i understand about adding the dri mix after it sets for 8 hours ..

Thanks AL

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ninjak on November 20, 2009, 08:50:53 AM
ok what is cure#1

Cure #1 consists of salt and sodium nitrite.

You can find it at a sausage supply store.

I get mine online from AlliedKenco.com
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

FL got you set on the cure, it's sometimes called pink salt, prague powder, tinted cure mix, T.C.M, DQ Curing Salt, Insta Cure #1 etc.. As far as the dry ingredients goes, it just seemed to be more flavorful by adding them after. It's not going to hurt anything by adding it all to the wet stuff first, I made half the batch like that and it was ok. I would probably do this:

First instead of Dark Brown Sugar, use either Light Brown Sugar or No sugar at all.

Second only mix the Jim Beam, Water, Worchestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce,  Cure#1, Non Fat Dry Milk, Kosher Salt and Sugar (if you are going to use it) and soak the meat for 8 hours.

Third Pull the meat and place on racks to dry - at this step sprinkle on all the remaing ingredients, and let it drip dry for another 8 hours.

Fourth smoke for 3 hours with Jim Beam Bisquettes at 150 degrees

Fifth cut the smoke and continue to cook until dry (I like mine to be able to bend and not break, but not squeeze out any juice if pinched).

Hope this helps!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ninjak

i think i am going to have to bring my smoker to work there is not enough time after to work smoke evething i want to try this next week.. i am a manager at a auto parts store in a little town so i can do that ...

Thanks Guys AL

p.s this is all i can think of right now is smoke smoke and more smoking I have about 60 pages of print out things to try ahhahahah