11 Lb Turkey

Started by skiak, October 24, 2009, 11:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiak

Alright,

The turkey is in the smoker.

Brined for 10 hours. Dried and sat in fridge uncovered overnight. Used a dry rub on top of and under the skin. First time putting stuff under the skin. Used a spoon to separate it from the breast like you might do for the membrane on ribs. Worked well.

Into the smoker before it was fully preheated. Not sure how this will effect it. Temp was set for 250 and was only at 200 when it went in. Should have waited but the kids wanted pancakes, the wife wanted coffee, and we have a boil order in effect for our water. Oh well. Turned the temp up to 270 to try and speed up the temp rise to 250.

Now just wait for the smoke to do its magic.

Skiak

skiak

Crud,

Just checked the smoker and the temp display shows 32f. This is after being on at 270 for about an hour with at least an inside temp of 220. Why would this happen?

Turned it off and back on with no change. ???

cabledude7155

Not an expert but unplug all the cables , plug them back in and make sure they are all tight. pull ur turkey out and try pre heating again.

ArnieM

As cabledude said.  Also, make sure you have power - maybe a breaker tripped?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

skiak

I checked the thermometer cable and it had some light corrosion on it. Cleaned it off and turned the BS back on with good indication. I have been storing my smoke generator inside but the cables have been inside the smoker which stays on the deck. Guess I should move them inside also.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: skiak on October 24, 2009, 12:30:34 PM
I checked the thermometer cable and it had some light corrosion on it. Cleaned it off and turned the BS back on with good indication. I have been storing my smoke generator inside but the cables have been inside the smoker which stays on the deck. Guess I should move them inside also.

That's a good idea. If you have some WD40, spray the cable ends and plug and unplug them a few times. It will help clean the contacts and prevent the corrosion.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Minor setback, nothing a Bradley smoker can't handle. It sure is nice to have someone help you hunt down the problem.

skiak

Turkey turned out amazing! Ended up in the smoker for 4 hours then moved to the oven. When I moved it to the oven it had an IT of 140. Took it out of the oven an hour later at 180. The bird soaked up the smoke really well. The skin was kinda rubbery but that is okay. Will make awesome sandwiches tomorrow with Mama's wild alaskan high brush cranberry relish.