66 people -- 2 job openings

Started by Oldman, October 25, 2009, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

During the past few days I have been interviewing people for two positions. I posted the jobs on our local Work Net. 66 persons sent to me their resumes.

During the interviews I allowed each person to tell me about their story. The things I heard first hand, the tears in some eyes, the fear, the totally desperation, and begging will be with me for a long time.

They were all good quality Americans. On the first day an hour and half before the interviews were to begin an older man (my age) came to the outside door and asked if it was ok if he just stood there as he wanted to be the first in line. I told him to come on in and I gave him his interview.

I knew when he left that he could not do the type of fast paced work we do anymore than I can at my age. We are both 59.

Last night I was telling Susan about him and she said, "Can't you create a position for him?" I replied, "We really do not need another floor tech, but I can train him to that. If you can find the monies for him in our budget."  She said "I will find it somewhere." When I called him last night I cannot put on paper the joy that was in his voice.

Today there are 63 person I met and listened to who are still unemployed.  I pray to the Lord of Light that I never again will have to run another ad. Their stories, their faces have totally drained me.

OLDS

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

KyNola

Olds,
I'm 57 and have been so very fortunate in the 37 years I have been in the work force full time, I have never been without a job.  I know many of our members here are without jobs, many of them possibly for the first time in their lives.  I won't even pretend to know what they are going through and the anxiety of looking for a job, especially at our age.

Kudos to Susan and you for paying it forward to a guy that obviously needs a job and you really didn't have one for him but you made a spot for him.  All political views aside, that's the kind of attitude that will bring the U.S. back from where we currently find ourselves.

Good for you Susan and Olds.

KyNola

Quarlow

Man. Olds Ya know times are tough. Back in the early 80" here in B.C. it was very hard to get a job. I was just a teenager and had experience working in a gas station. I went to drop a resume off at this other gas station and there was over 100 people there. I gave them my resume and left but I forgot my phone #. so I went back in to put it on. I said to the manager i forgot it and if he could pass it back I would put it on. He looked at me Like I just kick him in the nuts. He stammered for a second and then bent down to the garbage can and pulled it out. He started to hand it to me and I asked why he chucked it. He said you don't have a grade 12. To which I said but I have experience. He said he never got that far and he would reconsider my application. I told him not to bother cause he was to busy with the real world. My friend got the job and he told me they went threw 20 more people after him that couldn't handle the job. Go figure.
You are a stand up man and kudo's to you for this.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

That was real nice Olds. I have several friends in the area that own their own businesses and they hate doing all the interviews as well. It is scary to be unemployed when you really need to be working. When I first got out of the military with kids and a wife, it took me 3 months to find a suitable job and this was in the late 70's when jobs were not in short demand. I could not imagine going through it today.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Hopefull Romantic

Olds you brought a tear to my eye. If what you did is indicative of anything, it would be the kind and caliber of the person you are.

Hats off to you and Susan.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Oldman

Part 2

I just spent the entire day calling 63 people and having to tell them the positions were filled. I always figured that if someone took the time to send to me a resume and then take their time for an interview that I at least owed them that much.

However, all I can say is what a bitch of a day...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

Good post Olds. It served as a reminder to me that although things are tough around here, they are tougher south of the line. I wish all our American neighbors well during these times.
T2

Wildcat

Wow Raye, that is going the extra mile. I do not know of any company or employer that takes the time to inform applicants that the position had been filled. Good going.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Wildcat on October 25, 2009, 04:18:15 PM
Wow Raye, that is going the extra mile. I do not know of any company or employer that takes the time to inform applicants that the position had been filled. Good going.

Ditto on that one Wildcat. That is a stand up thing you did Olds.
HawkeyeSmokes

Caribou

Quote from: Oldman on October 25, 2009, 03:20:46 PM
Part 2

I just spent the entire day calling 63 people and having to tell them the positions were filled. I always figured that if someone took the time to send to me a resume and then take their time for an interview that I at least owed them that much.

However, all I can say is what a bitch of a day...
Olds,
It's got to be tough (and time consuming) doing all those call backs but it is so appreciated by folks, hired or not.
I did 3 interviews for a teaching position last spring totally 5 hours and didn't even get a phone call just a letter telling me I didn't get the job.  I would have truly appreciated a phone call.
You guys are awesome finding a way to hire that gentleman, too!
Bless your hearts,
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

Smokin Soon

Olds, you are to be commended. I know "exactly" what it's like to be unexpectedly without employment at the age of 59. It's not pretty, and you are treated like your productive years are done.