I have a really tough challenge....

Started by Mr Walleye, October 25, 2009, 12:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

Before adding honey, cheese or eggs you might want to find out what type of vegetarian diet s/he is on.

Also I remember a posting on Jackfruit, which is suppose to be similar to pork. I recall he made Vegetarian Pulled Pork from it. I haven't been able to find that vegetable in my area.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10115.0

Quote from: RossP on October 25, 2009, 05:54:11 PM
Give these Vegan sausage a try.
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/03/homemade-sausages.html
I have made them and then
smoked them. They are good even without the smoke.
Go light in the smoke as they absorb the smoke real easy.
I smoked with Apple for 40 minutes.

Ross
Ross,

I may try this if the other one does not work well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on October 25, 2009, 07:46:54 PM
Well, MY, I feel for you.  My daughter was on a vegetarian kick for a while.  She got something called a tofurkey.  Basically, a sculpted tofu in the - well sorta - shape of a turkey.  I took it out back and shot it.  Even the raccoons refused the remains.

I'd recommend just using some real vegetables and fruit.  You can put together a nice out-of-the-bird stuffing that is vegan.  Me?  Gimme the meat. ;D

My son was a vegetarian for about 5 years.  I did that tofurky one year too along with a real turkey of course.  That thing was horrible.  I don't think I tried to feed it to the racoons & I definitely didn't shoot it....

Giz has a great idea with the portabello... 

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 26, 2009, 02:33:17 AM
...Also I remember a posting on Jackfruit, which is suppose to be similar to pork. I recall he made Vegetarian Pulled Pork from it. I haven't been able to find that vegetable in my area.....

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10115.0

That was me....  and it was OK, but needed work.  The Jackfruit provided a good base texture but zero flavour, so it all had to come from the sauce. My choice of sauce (a homemade one) simply didn't work in my opinion.  The vegetarians I made it for didn't mind it....   but they're generally just happy when somebody tries something different than the usual pre-made cardboard tasting burgers and sausages they normally get.

Unfortunately Mike, I'm pretty sure the Jackfruit is possibly the rarest of all fruit in Saskatchewan  :) !!!  I'd be very surprised if you find it.

Probably not the most "Christmassy" choice anyway.

I was also going to suggest a Tofurky....  a friend of mine mentioned these a few weeks back before Canadian Thanksgiving.  You may find one of those locally, or perhaps in Saskatoon or Regina if you happen to be going there.

FLBentRider

Quote from: deb415611 on October 26, 2009, 04:18:32 AM
Quote from: ArnieM on October 25, 2009, 07:46:54 PM
Well, MY, I feel for you.  My daughter was on a vegetarian kick for a while.  She got something called a tofurkey.  Basically, a sculpted tofu in the - well sorta - shape of a turkey.  I took it out back and shot it.  Even the raccoons refused the remains.

I'd recommend just using some real vegetables and fruit.  You can put together a nice out-of-the-bird stuffing that is vegan.  Me?  Gimme the meat. ;D

My son was a vegetarian for about 5 years.  I did that tofurky one year too along with a real turkey of course.  That thing was horrible.  I don't think I tried to feed it to the racoons & I definitely didn't shoot it....

Giz has a great idea with the portabello... 

We make portabello mini-pizza from time to time. I never thought about smoking them.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

These are not like turkey by any means but I've like the following  The smoked portabello is a great idea - tastes great.  Make a pizza using soy cheese and soy chorizo.  Haven't tried just smoking the soy chorizo - have some in the ref. to do, but rained this weekend and went to "The Jack" when it wasn't.  Tempeh and Seitan are also good smoked.   Have also done well with homemade meatless burgers (bean or soy or veggie).topped with peppered soy cheese.  The seitan would probably be more like turkey.  The imitation chicken is usually soy based, but usually good - but have not tried to Q' it.  Have you ever grilled a polenta "burger"  - pretty good.  Grilled Chiles Rellenos filled with veggies - sorta like the Chilie Rellenos Throwdown. 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Mr Walleye

Thanks for all the ideas everybody!  ;)

I think I will have to follow up on Carolyn and Habs suggestions regarding checking with her as far as how extreme she is on the vegetarian thing. I believe pretty extreme but I think I will give her husband a call and find out for sure.

Caney
I'm kinda liking the idea of a portabello mushroom with sliced soy chorizo and some kinda of peppered soy cheese grated over it... Doesn't even sound that bad.  :o

CRG
I don't have a Traeger but I do have a Louisiana CS570 though.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Ya know what Fishman...I had a similar "issue" at a Thanksgiving once...I made a pumkin soup (very fall like) and I made the veggie people Pot Pies (individual ones)...gotta say they were fabulous. It was an Ina Garten recipe (Barefoot Contessa).

I actually learned alot about making veggie stock from the recipe. Specifically, how to get the stock dark...

Anyway...you have a lot of great advice already...just thought I'd toss in!!

Mr Walleye

Thanks LQ.

I have a few weeks to get this girl figured out.  ;)  :D

I just really felt it would nice to do something special for her if I can.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 26, 2009, 08:15:23 PM
Thanks for all the ideas everybody!  ;)

I think I will have to follow up on Carolyn and Habs suggestions regarding checking with her as far as how extreme she is on the vegetarian thing. I believe pretty extreme but I think I will give her husband a call and find out for sure.

Caney
I'm kinda liking the idea of a portabello mushroom with sliced soy chorizo and some kinda of peppered soy cheese grated over it... Doesn't even sound that bad.  :o

CRG
I don't have a Traeger but I do have a Louisiana CS570 though.

Mike

As a full disclosure  :) I was vegetarian in the early 70's, then in the mid 70's added fish and poultry back into my diet, around 2000 I added beef and pork back into my diet.

Be careful of purchasing soy products that are made to imitate meat or cheese. Check them out first, some brands taste great, others are down right awful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 27, 2009, 02:29:42 AM

Be careful of purchasing soy products that are made to imitate meat or cheese. Check them out first, some brands taste great, others are down right awful.

So true - I've opened some packages up and it was like opening up a can of cheap dog food.  The smell was just like cheap canned dog food.  Not that canned dog food tastes that bad only needs a little salt usually!  Don't ask!!

I eat them to help with lowering fat intake and cholosterol.  All the soy chorizos I have had around here are pretty good, - but you better check the soy cheeses first as Habs said.  Wallyworld had (may still do) a brand that was revolting to my taste.  The one the Krogers sale as slices around here is actually quite good.

ArnieM

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 27, 2009, 10:31:28 AM

So true - I've opened some packages up and it was like opening up a can of cheap dog food.  The smell was just like cheap canned dog food.  Not that canned dog food tastes that bad only needs a little salt usually!  Don't ask!!

I eat them to help with lowering fat intake and cholosterol. 

The dog food?  ;D ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Quote from: ArnieM on October 27, 2009, 11:15:58 AM
Quote from: Caneyscud on October 27, 2009, 10:31:28 AM

I eat them to help with lowering fat intake and cholosterol. 

The dog food?  ;D ;D ;D
uhhh....uhhh....well I am currently underemployed (sounds better than saying partially laid off!) and a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!   Unfortunate ordering of sentences, besides, canned dog food is or was notoriously high in fat - say 15 to 20%.