I have a really tough challenge....

Started by Mr Walleye, October 25, 2009, 12:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Ok... We have a bunch of friends getting together in early December, kinda an early Christmas because everybody will be tied up with family during the Holiday Season.

Anyway, I'm in charge of the meat!  8)

So it's going to be smoked turkey... no problem there... now comes the problem...

One member of our group of friends is a vegetarian. So I thought I would try to make something special for her... Smoked Tofu! Ok... I know nothing about tofu. as I understand it, it is a black slate taste wise so here was what I was thinking...

Purchase some extra firm regular (not silken) tofu, remove packaging, drain and freeze it. Thaw, drain and finally press it to remove additional moisture and firm it up a little more. As I understand this process will give the tofu a more dense texture, more similar to meat. Next I plan on marinating it but I'm not sure what to use or for how long. I'm looking for something to resemble turkey. And finally I will smoke it, again I'm not sure on the amount of smoke. I have also read that while smoking tofu you can mop it and it will absorb the mop very well.

I know I have read a few posts from a few members here on tofu and I would really appreciate any direction you guys can provide.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopefull Romantic

Mr. Walleye,

I found this recipe some time ago and it sounded good at the time.

http://www.myownbbq.com/content/tips/smokedtofu.cfm

Hope it would help.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

deb415611

Mike,

I know there where some threads on it,  I'll see if I can find.  I think one of the people in those threads that had done tofu was Habs.

Deb

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

Use the method in Tofu Bacon, but cut the tofu into cubes or quarter the blocks, or slice the thickness into half. Search the Internet for variety of marinades. How you cut the tofu prior to smoking, will depend on how you want to serve it.

I have a several friends that are either vegetarian or vegan. For those that are vegetarian I have been searching for a good vegetarian sausage, and now Sausage Maker sells vegetable collagen casings. I just ordered some. I don't think they will hold up under smoking, but looks alright for sauteing, or steaming.

Here is a link to the recipe I am going to try, the video show the process, and the recipe is listed lower in the page. Her recipe has gotten good reviews. She doesn't stuff her's into casing, but so you don't have to worry about casings. If you make the log sausage you may be able to cold smoke prior to steaming them.
Spicey Italian Vegetable Sausage

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

Mr W - Sorry, but I gotta say it...

Tofu (even without the smoke) is just wrong!

If, however, you're absolutely determined, I'd recommend looking up a recipe for planked shad - one which ends, "Finally, scrape the shad off the plank and eat the wood."

RossP

Give these Vegan sausage a try.
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/03/homemade-sausages.html
I have made them and then
smoked them. They are good even without the smoke.
Go light in the smoke as they absorb the smoke real easy.
I smoked with Apple for 40 minutes.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Mr Walleye

Thanks for the ideas!  ;)

I couldn't agree more with ya Ka Honu!  :D But I gotta try and accommodate everybody.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ArnieM

Well, MY, I feel for you.  My daughter was on a vegetarian kick for a while.  She got something called a tofurkey.  Basically, a sculpted tofu in the - well sorta - shape of a turkey.  I took it out back and shot it.  Even the raccoons refused the remains.

I'd recommend just using some real vegetables and fruit.  You can put together a nice out-of-the-bird stuffing that is vegan.  Me?  Gimme the meat. ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 25, 2009, 04:26:01 PM
Mr W - Sorry, but I gotta say it...

Tofu (even without the smoke) is just wrong!

If, however, you're absolutely determined, I'd recommend looking up a recipe for planked shad - one which ends, "Finally, scrape the shad off the plank and eat the wood."

Sounds good....will put that at the top of my todo list.

Caribou

Quote from: ArnieM on October 25, 2009, 07:46:54 PM
Well, MY, I feel for you.  My daughter was on a vegetarian kick for a while.  She got something called a tofurkey.  Basically, a sculpted tofu in the - well sorta - shape of a turkey.  I took it out back and shot it.  Even the raccoons refused the remains.
Arnie,
Wasn't that an episode of "Everybody Love's Ramon"?

Mike,
I've never made smoked tofu before so I'm not much help there.
Will this gal eat smoked cheese possibly?
Or does she not eat any animal products at all?
Caroly

classicrockgriller

Gizmo

Might I suggest a smoked portobello mushroom?
Add a little smoked vegtables like asparagus, onions, and potatoes and you have a great tasting dish.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Gizmo

But I forgot the smoked cheese in the mushroom.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/