Help for a Newbie

Started by vector_man1, March 04, 2005, 03:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vector_man1

I just go my new bradley smoker and am set to smoke a chicken on Friday afternoon and a brisket for Sunday Dinner.  I have never smoked before(at least not any meat) and have read lots of posts.  I am curious as to what the heck FTC is.  Any suggestions for the two meats.  I plan on doing the chicken whole and the brisket overnight for a long smoke.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

oguard

Vector welcome to the forum.FTC foil towel cooler when you pull meat from smoker this is an important step you need to let the meat rest.[;)]There is a ton of info here try a search of the forum for recipes.You will find quite a few on the forum.Don't be a stranger.

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue"><b>KEEP ON SMOKIN</b></font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS">[8D]

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

jaeger

Welcome to the forum Vectorman,
FTC stands for Foil-Towel-Cooler. Long story short...after smoking/cooking a large piece of meat, like a brisket or pork butt, when the internal temp reaches 185 degrees, wrap the meat in foil.
Next, wrap in a large towel and place into a small cooler for about 2-4 hours. The heat from the meat will continue to break down the connective tissue and make the meat much more tender.

Re: smoked chicken- there are a lot of good recipes. You could marinade the chicken in a tumbler if you had one,(I know where you can get one [;)]),or you can apply your favorite rub. One method of smoking is to place the chicken on top of a can (about one half full) of apple juice. Cook smoke times will vary. Depending on size approx. 4 hours until an internal temp of 170 degrees.

Re: beef brisket- I would apply a rub the day before,
smoke for 4 hours. Total cook/smoke time can easily run 14+ hours.(Not including FTC). Make sure you allow enough time or you may be ordering a pizza for Sunday dinner.  [:D][;)][:D]

Here is a link with some good recipes for rubs etc. Go to bradley smokers.    http://www.susanminor.org/index2.html

Doug

vector_man1

Thanks for the info guys.  I have enjoyed reading all the posts and info about smoking.  I will let you know how the first experiments go.

Vectorman

Crazy Canuck

Vector Man
I am new to the forum and have found that there are alot of experienced smokers willing to help if you have problems.  
Welcome to the forum and have fun.

Addicted to Smokin[:p][:p][:p]
DanR @ Fort St. John BC

vector_man1

[:D][:D][:D]Well did the chicken today.  It was awesome and the family loved it.  I rubbed it with Swansons chicken rub and then marinated it overnight.  Started smoking at about 830 at 210-220 until about 1245 let it rest for about 15 minutes and then chowed down.  We also had put pototoes on the top rack rubbed in olive oil.  They too we good.  The brisket goes in tonight for lunch tomorrow.  I will let you know how if comes out.

Thanks for the help this Forum is great.

Vectorman

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, VM1!

Check our Olds' "FAQ Forum" by accessing the Sticky at top of each of the Topics here . . . [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

Welcome!

Roger, Roger.
What's our vector, Victor?
Do we have clearance, Clarence?[:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?