• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just a few things that I've been smoking.

Started by DjSaneR, October 26, 2009, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjSaneR

As some of you on this forum have warned me that the Bradley is a new addiction........ you were right. I've only had the smoker for about 2 weeks, but have used it 7x already.  My cholesterol level can't be safe. ;D

Before

After

Before

After

Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

HawkeyeSmokes

If your doctor tells you the cholesterol is to high, I think ArnieM can hook ya up with a better doctor!  ;D Glad to hear your enjoying and using the Bradley.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Yep, if Arnie doesn't like what his doc says, he finds a new doc.

I'm afraid the smoking and the forum are addicting

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 26, 2009, 08:36:53 PM

Or you can get Q to talk your doctor into buying a smoker and then he is hooked and would soon forget about his own Cholesterol. ;D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

It all looks great Dj, looks like you hit the ground a running with this smoking thing. I think your hooked. What kind of fish is that ?

DjSaneR

Quote from: OU812 on October 27, 2009, 05:52:54 AM
It all looks great Dj, looks like you hit the ground a running with this smoking thing. I think your hooked. What kind of fish is that ?

Thanks, I'm enjoying it as much as the family is enjoying eating.  As for the fish, I think it's a 'Jack Fish'?  My father swung by and said, "Try smoking it".  He usually eats it fried.  I brined it in some salt water, smoked it at 180 for 4 hours.  Came out pretty darn good  :)
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

OU812

"Jack Fish"

Thats a new one for me, dont see many other fish than fresh water types around here, being land locked and all.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 26, 2009, 08:36:53 PM

I shop at the doctor's mall 'til I find someone I like.

"Jack Fish"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(fish)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

All the fins have been cut off, but I would suspect a Jack Crevalle - but then lots of fish are called "jacks".  Jack Crevalles get to be whoppers 30+ pounds and when you catch one, you better hold on - they really put up a fight.  Haven't heard of too many people eating them as their flesh contains a large amount of fishy tasting blood and oil.  Ones that do prepare them make sure they are bled and then soak the meat in buttermilk to draw out the blood.  How did they taste?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DjSaneR

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 27, 2009, 11:18:15 AMHow did they taste?

To tell you the truth I don't know, heheh! I finished them really late in the night and had to work the next morning. On my way to work I dropped them off at my parents' house.  I'm assuming they were good because when I picked up my daughter after work the fish were gone.   :D
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Pachanga

Saner,

I don't know why you are asking for advice concerning brisket.  It looks like you are already and expert.  Thanks for sharing your photos.  They are terrific.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

DjSaneR

Quote from: Pachanga on October 28, 2009, 09:57:54 AM
Saner,

I don't know why you are asking for advice concerning brisket.  It looks like you are already and expert.  Thanks for sharing your photos.  They are terrific.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Thanks, Pachanga. :) I think the whole process of the brisket is a bit intimidating because of all the steps.. Not that there are many, just that they're steps I've never done, ie: the whole Foil, Towel, Cooler thing.  Still trying to get an understanding on that. 
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

FLBentRider

Quote from: DjSaneR on October 28, 2009, 11:08:48 AM
Thanks, Pachanga. :) I think the whole process of the brisket is a bit intimidating because of all the steps.. Not that there are many, just that they're steps I've never done, ie: the whole Foil, Towel, Cooler thing.  Still trying to get an understanding on that. 

The FTC thing performs 2 functions:

1. The meat gets to "rest" and coast down to serving temp.

2. You can keep the meat hot for hours. This is important since almost ever smoke I have done has had a different duration. I plan to get it done early, then use FTC to hold the meat until time to serve.

You don't _have_ to FTC your brisket/butt, but at least let it rest 10-15 minutes after you take it out of the smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DjSaneR

Ahh, I was under the impression that the FTC step was absolutely necessary.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

FLBentRider

Quote from: DjSaneR on October 28, 2009, 12:30:58 PM
Ahh, I was under the impression that the FTC step was absolutely necessary.

I prefer the simple brisket method:

1. Salt and pepper rub.

2. Four hours of Smoke @205F. Continue @ 205F until and IT of 190F

3. FTC (optional  :D ) until time to serve. The last one I did went into FTC @ 0800 and was served about 1300. Nice and Hot. and delish!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!