What smoke to use?

Started by watchdog56, October 29, 2009, 05:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I plan on doing a rump roast about 3 lbs using this recipe;http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11960.0. I am thinking about using mesquite for the first time.  I am wondering if anyone has had any experience? How long should I smoke it for or would I be better off using a different kind of smoke? I have apple,hickory and maple also.

FLBentRider

I've done mesquite on beef.

If you like you smoke strong, go for it.

If not, only do 2 hours of mesquite.

I have been on an Oak/beef kick.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

As FlBentRider says if I read him right, Mesquite in the Bradley is a strong smoke.  I am from Texas where mesquite is a weed and have smoked with it all my life.  Mesquite is prized because it burns hot for long periods, but the fact is that the real Qing is done over coals when the smoke is just whispy, not over high smoking logs.  The Bradley mesquite doesn't taste the same to me. I have cut some pucks out of the right diameter mesquite limbs and the flavor was more like I thought it should be.  There is nothing wrong with the mesquite if you like a strong smoke like FlBentRider states.  I use just a few pucks of mesquite in my smokes and blend it with the other woods.  I have had good luck with apple, oak, and hickory with brisket.

That said, some on the board only smoke with mesquite and are very happy with the flavor.

See you around the pit. Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga