Digital 4 or 6 rack

Started by Plain Ole Bris Kit N TX, October 30, 2009, 06:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plain Ole Bris Kit N TX

New to smoking, decided on a Bradley, trying to figure out which to get ??? I've reviewed some forums, but not sure I got a good feel for which to get. Price difference is @ $ 50.00 (on line eBay). Sometimes bigger isn't always better. I will not be smoking for large gatherings, most likely briskets, turkey and some yard bird, to start with anyway. Looking forward to smoking my own meat and not paying Dickeys to do it. Appreciate some advise.

classicrockgriller

Go with the 6. you can always cook less, hard to cook more on a 4rk.

Welcome to the forum. Am from E Texas myself and you know a Texan would never lie to a Texan. ;D

JoeHifi

Yep CRG,

Bigger would be better. And I only got a four.

Welcome to the forum Plain Ole Bris Kit N TX.

Quarlow

So far I am agreeing with them. I have a 4 rack and wish it was a 6. Welcome to the forum, you will love this place.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

dbondy

WELCOME.  Im new to this forum as well. These guy are really helpfull and ready to help out with any problems. Ive had my 4 rack OBS for a little while now and wished I got the 6 rack digital. I did 12lbs of sausage in 3lbs casings and it was a tight fit, but still worked great. Just wish it was a little larger.

Tenpoint5

I have had my DBS 4 for several years. The only time I wish I had a 6 rack is when I am doing sausage, But it can be done in the 4 rack. Unless your planning on doing a lot of sausage in the bigger casings you will be fine with the 4 rack.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Plain Ole Bris Kit N TX!

I have a four, coveted a six, considered buying a SS4 to make it 8.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

I'm with 10.5, I have a four rack and it does everything I want to make. Big batches of sausage are the only time I run out of room..

Hopefull Romantic

I with CRG on this one. I have the DBS6 and love it. Remember;

It is better to have it and not need it than t need it and not have it.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

LindaCC

LOVE, LOVE MY 6RK. I almost went for the 4 rk. I have already had more than 4rk would have handled and I have just had my Bradley 2 weeks.
When I am just using a rk or 2, I put 4 foil wrapped bricks on 2 racks on top (on each side and to the front). Helps maintain heat.
I as well always have them on the very bottom on both sides of the water bowl. Several pictures here on the site showed that.

Plain Ole Bris Kit N TX

I've enjoyed this forum already, been glancing at it for a while, decided I should jump in and get pros and cons for both. I'm leaning toward 6 (only $ 50 more). I'm not sure I unders the brick wrapped with tin foil :-\. From what I gather it helps with holding the heat, so my thinking is if I get a 6, I can have the foiled bricks on top and have 5 racks for smokin'. I don't know anything about smokin' sauages, or 3 lb casings tho. Is this homemade sauage?

I saw a u tube on smoked pork butt, looked like it was charred on the outside, is that normal, or jsut improperly cooked?

In Texas, Blue Bell Ice Cream is King, along with Football (how 'bout them cowboys). I've heard of fried ice cream at the State Fair, can ya smoke Blue Bell (ha ha)?

Thanks again and I appreciate the comments, nice therapy group here.  ;D

RAF128

I have an OBS with 4 racks.   I wanted a 6 and wanted digital, so, I bought one last Monday.   I like the idea of extra space.   I make beer sticks quite a bit and like to hang them at the top.   I figured more distance from the heat source the better.    My smoker gets it's first workout today.   An elk roast will be going in shortly.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Plain Ole Bris Kit N TX on October 31, 2009, 06:01:12 PM
I saw a u tube on smoked pork butt, looked like it was charred on the outside, is that normal, or jsut improperly cooked?

I can't speak for the video, but my pork butts have a nice "bark" on the outside.

It's a combination of smoke and the rub you use. The more sugar in the rub, the darker the bark.

It has also been stated that a mustard slather before the rub will contribute to the bark. (I'm not a slatherer)

It is usually very dark, not charred but the flavor can be very intense. A lot of people chop it up and mix it in with the shredded pork.

We usually don't - that is the part that goes first - the "cooks portion"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

muzzletim

I have a 4 rack but for $50 more I think the 6 rack is much more desirable!

Tim
Tim