• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trick or (Pastrami)!

Started by squirtthecat, October 31, 2009, 07:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I started my 2nd pastrami the other night, with a corned beef flat in a good 24 hour bath. (flipped/changed water 3 times)
My first rub I used was from 10.5.  I've also heard good results from Hab's rub, so I did a 'fusion' thing with them:

Roughly..

1 Tbs ground smoked pepper
1 Tbs Hungarian paprika
1 Tbs garlic powder
1/2 Tbs ground coriander
1/2 Tbs onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp thyme
pinch or 2 of smoked salt  (not necessary, but it was in front of me so I grabbed it)

It is destined for the lunch menu at the office cafeteria next week, so I though I would amp up the flavors a bit.

I rubbed it down last night, and it went shrink-wrapped into the fridge.  It's on the counter now warming up.
Details/pics forthcoming.

(I was using leftover Christmas saran wrap, it really isn't that red  :D)

Hopefull Romantic

Looking good squirt. Post the results. Please

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

Taking advantage of good old solar radiation during pre-heat:

[EDIT]

Ok, here we go..   3 hours of Oak/Pecan at 220 210*, taking to an IT of 163* before FTC.

Journeyman pit boss in training. (some a**hole dumped him in our yard last night - so he is in 'transient' housing in our garage until we get to the vet on Monday)

oakville smoker

I am jealous

YOUR PASTRAMI IS BIGGER THAN MINE !

Looking good
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

squirtthecat

Quote from: oakville smoker on October 31, 2009, 09:40:53 AM
I am jealous

YOUR PASTRAMI IS BIGGER THAN MINE !

Looking good

:D

3.89 pounds..  The Grobbel variety from WalMart.   I grabbed the biggest one they had.  They are proud of them this time of year...  Wait until St Paddy's day - I'm going to buy a cart full of them.   ;)

We'll see what it cooks down to.

squirtthecat

Still waiting on the pastrami..

154* or so now.   [sigh]    I think I'll pull at 159 and call it a night. 

squirtthecat

157 (had 2 different Mavericks plugged into it), close enough...

Will FTC until 10 or so.   Vacpak tomorrow AM.

It lost a lot of mass during that smoke.  Hmmm.   We'll see how it turns out on Monday.   ???

classicrockgriller

Looks good squirt. Do you supply the cafe food all the time?

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 31, 2009, 06:27:44 PM
Looks good squirt.

I cut off a bit of the fatty bark, and am very happy with the rub blend.   I'm just afraid that my 3.9 lb corned beef produced about 1.9 lb cooked pastrami.  :(

QuoteDo you supply the cafe food all the time?

Just a bit every couple of weeks.  If she serves something I smoked and brought it, I get to eat for free.

She has a small setup at the office, short order breakfast, and a few lunch choices. (blue plate, a few grill items, and a sub sandwich bar)  Maybe 50 customers a day, on a busy day?  It's not a huge operation.