Question

Started by Brad Stab, November 01, 2009, 08:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

Hi all,

I'm doing my first smoke today. I dry rubbed pork ribs and brined a bone in turkey breast. I decided to cold smoke them for 2 hours then finish and glaze in my oven. Does that sound like a good idea, or should I be hot smoking them?

Thanks
Brad
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

Hopefull Romantic

There is a a very good recipy for ribs on this site calling for 3 hours of hot smoking in the Bradley then sprayed with apple juice and foiled well in the oven for two hours then one last hour unfoiled and back in the bradley. You can put your favorite BBQ sause for the last hour and watch it until meat pulls off the bone.

As for the turkey, I woould smoke them for the first 3 hours and then glaze them in the oven to crisp the skin and IT of 165

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Brad Stab

Thanks HR, Can I go from cold to hot smoke?

Hopefull Romantic

I dont see any reason why you cant Brad.

Not too many people on this forum would recommend cold smoking meet for a long time. You could be entering a danger zone with that and depending on where you live and the ambient temp it could be even less than 2.

Go ahead and set it up for hot smoke and it you can post picture it would be nice. Every one here loves pictures

HR

Brad Stab

Just switched over to hot smoke. You know I really should of known that about time/temp abuse.

I appreciate your help, and I will do my best to upload pictures

Hopefull Romantic

Good luck Brad. Nothing comes out bad from the Bradley. Enjoy your new addiction.

Hady

Quarlow

definitely hot smoke. The temp of cold smoke is perfect for growning any bacteria that might already be there. Cold smoke is for things that you don't have to worry about like cheese and and stuff like that. That said they do cold smoke on salmon for loks but the amount of bacteria on fish is low. However if it has not been handled properly it could give you trouble too. Of course that is not hard and fast but you have to be real careful with cold smoking. Good luck
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Brad Stab

Thank you both so much for your help. This seems like a wonderful site.

Quarlow

Oh you are going to love this place. And welcome to the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

pensrock

Looks like they got you covered. Welcome to the site and when you get time be sure to check out the recipe site for great recipes and the Bradley FAQ's.

Brad Stab

Quote from: pensrock on November 01, 2009, 09:22:00 AM
Looks like they got you covered. Welcome to the site and when you get time be sure to check out the recipe site for great recipes and the Bradley FAQ's.

Thanks pensrock. Already saved the recipe site to my favorites

Brad Stab

This is my first attempt on the Bradley. Brined/smoked breast of turkey finished with a Bourbon/brown sugar glaze.

Quarlow

wow thats some fine looking bird there. Good job Brad.

OBS
BBQ

deb415611

Very nice!!  How did it taste?

Brad Stab

Thanks, it tasted great.Although I'm waiting for my family to come home from NYC. The couple pieces I tasted were very moist, the fresh is very tender. I'm making a citrus conserve to serve with it and a pumpkin risotto.

I still have my ribs in the smoker, I followed the pictorial recipe on the recipe site. There looking really nice. Hope to upload a pix later.