• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke ring question

Started by ronbeaux, November 01, 2009, 12:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

I am new to Bradleys, but not bbq. It has taken me several days now to look over the posts and there is some fantastic looking cooks. One thing though. Smoke ring. The briskets look really moist, but hardly any smoke ring??? I know you can't taste a smoke ring, but I am so used to seeing one I was just wondering.

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

deb415611

Ronbeaux,

An electric smoker doesn't produce a smoke ring.  I can't remember the reason why but someone will be along soon I'm sure with the rest of the details  :).

Deb

classicrockgriller

ron, there has been a post where they actually burned some charcoal while they were smoking and was able to obtain a smoke ring.

Sometimes we can't have it all. Wish my wifes eyes were blue instead of evil green. I'm sure others will post.

ronbeaux

My wife also has green eyes, and coal black hair. I haven't seen her wrestle an aligator yet, but I wouldn't bet on the aligator!

Thanks for the info.

If someone wants to get technical, go for it. I'm here to learn. I'm not saying it's good or bad to have one or not. I just like to learn more.

classicrockgriller

Do a search for smoke ring and read anything that Caneycud writes about it.

Hopefull Romantic

Ronbeaux, the smoke ring is the outcome of a chemical reaction between the charcoal infusion and the meat. It can not be re produced in the electrical smoker for all the obvious reasons.

I have tried adding two or three fist size lit charcoalls into my Bradley and was successfull in obtaining an impressive smoke ring. I do have to admit thought I have tried them on chicken thus far and not beaf or other types of meat. The charcoal serves as a good heat retainer as well.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 01, 2009, 01:09:56 PM
Do a search for smoke ring and read anything that Caneycud writes about it.
Hey crg were you trying to slip the implication by that caney was a cud chewing cow.............woops we should save the smack talk for the other post on ICB. heheLOL.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Smoke ring is a misnomer, because it is not cause by smoke, but by the combustion of organic fuels which include wood, charcoal, propane and natural gas. Outside the barbecue circuit it is generally referred to as pink ring. These fuels release nitrogen dioxide NO2; which attaches itself to the meat. It then converts to nitrous acid (HNO2), which diffuses into the muscle, and further breaks down into Nitric Oxide (NO). It is this chemical that reacts to the myoglobin in the meat to form a pink molecule. It is similar to how nitrites react when they come in contact with the meat. Though the bisquettes are an organic fuel, the heat pad does not heat the wood to a high enoug temperature to produce sufficient NO2.

You can also obtain a pink ring from a propane/natural gas stove or grill; as long as the low/slow method of cooking is used and the meat is left uncovered.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ronbeaux

It was a simple question that I had no answer for using the Bradley. I'm OK with it.

I have 7 bbq pits and all of them use charcoal or wood. (And for all of you guys that saw my vent problem) each of them require the vents to be adjusted during the cook to control the temp. I have never used electric so I think it was an honest question.

Now, I HAVE been in many debates on the smoke ring from using curing salt, to the amount of regular salt or sugar, to how much temp for how long, and one thing I know for sure, it's hard to explain. (except for the no2 thing which still is questionable because it is hard to measure)

I do know this. I used hickory for the turkey wings and they tasted like I used hickory. I don't know for a fact what is in the charcoal, even though some claim to be 100% hardwood(another subject.) There are a lot of hard woods and I would assume that a manufacture would get what he could for the right price so there could potentially be a mixture of different types of wood. Make sense??

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just trying to utilize my Bradley to it's fullest capabilities. If I can't get a smoke ring it won't break my heart. All I know is that everything I have cooked is just slammin and I would like to sneak it into a bbq contest.

Wildcat

There is nothing wrong with questions and reservations. We are all here to learn. With regards to Bradley products and their outstanding customer service, I am convinced that if they produce a certain wood bisquet, i.e. Hickory, then that is what it is.

Also, you can get somewhat of a smoke ring by utilizing nitrite as Habs indicated.

Feel free to ask any questions you want. There is bound to be someone on here that can answer just about anything and will do so with pleasure.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Hi Wildcat;

You are right, that one can produce a artificial or fake "smoke ring". I need to clarify what I meant in my post. The final chemical reaction of either nitrogen dioxide or nitrites is that one of the chemicals they break down into is nitric oxide which is the chemical that produces the red color when it reacts to the myoglobin. As an added note nitrites can alter the taste of your food, while nitrogen dioxide doesn't.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

Essentially to make an artificial smoke ring you are "curing" the outside 1/4" to 1/2" inch of your beef.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Wildcat

Thanks Habs. I knew it could be done, only had a faint idea on the science of what takes place.  :D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wildcat on November 02, 2009, 10:35:28 AM
Thanks Habs. I knew it could be done, only had a faint idea on the science of what takes place.  :D

Yes! I knew what you were referring to, because you have been in on the several discussions over the years on how to produce an artificial "smoke ring". But after inhaling leaf mold for most of yesterday afternoon, I thought I better clarify what I wrote yesterday. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

"But after inhaling leaf mold for most of yesterday afternoon.."

I don't inhale!  ;D