Canadian Bacon

Started by BigJohnT, November 02, 2009, 06:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking smoke you have going with that Canadian Bacon JT! Sounds like more pizza fixings!
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Hawk if only you had smellacomputer... the aroma is so wonderful. My buddy came by my shop this afternoon and started sniffing and said "Where is the meat?" I said "What meat?" he replied "I smell it, where is it?" He was heartbroken when I told him it was not ready yet but he could smell the bag if he wanted...

JT

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BigJohnT on November 02, 2009, 03:07:42 PM
You should have seen me before I lost the weight to get down to a Medium John...

Oh, and you know how the camera makes you look like you are 20 pounds heavier than you really are...

JT

You don't look overweight. It may be the camera angle, but you look very tall.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

CB looks awesome John! ;D   

BigJohnT

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 03, 2009, 01:21:49 AM
You don't look overweight. It may be the camera angle, but you look very tall.

Yes it does make me look tall and the smoker look small... wonder how my other brother John did that. I guess it was the angle of the shot.

JT

deb415611

I need your other brother John to take a picture of me.  It would be nice to have a picture where I looked tall ;D

BigJohnT

Quote from: deb415611 on November 03, 2009, 04:55:20 AM
I need your other brother John to take a picture of me.  It would be nice to have a picture where I looked tall ;D

Come by the shop anytime and he will take your picture.  ;D

I can't wait to make some more pizza with the whole tomatoes and home made Canadian Bacon. The Canadian Bacon is the easiest thing to smoke so far. Scott tells me that bacon is the easiest for him. I got to get some pork bellies from the butcher.

JT

Brad Stab

New here, so I hope it's ok to post a question on someone else's thread. I am going to make Canadian bacon next week. I was reading the recipe by HS to use Morton's cure. I have instiCure #1 which I see I can use with some additions. However I do not have pickling salt.Is their an alternative?
Thank you,
Brad
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

FLBentRider

It is important when curing to have the cure and other dry ingredients well mixed.

canning or pickling salt is finer and therefore denser that table salt, kosher salt, etc.

I would use this table:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/salt_guide/index.html

and do the conversion.

I would not recommend any salt that is iodized. It can give an "off" flavor to cures and brines.

If possible, I would run the coarser salt in a spice grinder to get it to a finer texture, roughly the same as the cure.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brad Stab

Habanero Smoker

I just want to add that picklling or canning salt is the same density of table salt. It is just table salt without iodine or anti-caking agents. You generally find it in supermarkets right by the kosher salt. It should be easy to find this time of year, because it's that time of year people do their home canning. It is also referred to as pure salt. Plain table salt will also work, as long as there is not iodine in it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Brad Stab

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 04, 2009, 01:46:43 PM
I just want to add that picklling or canning salt is the same density of table salt. It is just table salt without iodine or anti-caking agents. You generally find it in supermarkets right by the kosher salt. It should be easy to find this time of year, because it's that time of year people do their home canning. It is also referred to as pure salt. Plain table salt will also work, as long as there is not iodine in it.

HS,

I have a # of superfine sea salt, no iodine. Can I use that?
Thanks

FLBentRider

I think that will work.

I would add a 1/4 teaspoon of the fine sea salt per tablespoon of the canning/pickling salt specified in the recipe.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brad Stab

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 04, 2009, 02:04:41 PM
I think that will work.

I would add a 1/4 teaspoon of the fine sea salt per tablespoon of the canning/pickling salt specified in the recipe.

Thank you

Habanero Smoker

I don't know how fine it is when you say fine. Each manufacturer grinds there salt differently, the only uniform grain among manufactures seems to be table salt. What you have should be close enough to the chart FBL posted a link to.

What is your objective? Are you making the Basic Dry Cure?; if so if you have a scale that will be the best way to measure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.