Canadian Bacon

Started by BigJohnT, November 02, 2009, 06:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 04, 2009, 02:23:50 PM
I don't know how fine it is when you say fine. Each manufacturer grinds there salt differently, the only uniform grain among manufactures seems to be table salt. What you have should be close enough to the chart FBL posted a link to.

What is your objective? Are you making the Basic Dry Cure?; if so if you have a scale that will be the best way to measure.

As an example I have been making duck confit for years to use with my cassoulette, I have always used .5 oz of #1 per pound of salt.In this case I'm not so interested in the preservation (the hermetically sealed fat does that) as I am in maintaining the soft pink color. I have never made Canadian bacon, nor worked with curing mixes, other than my own. I have a digital scale I use everyday, mostly for baking. The salt I was referring to has a finer grain than table salt. Thats why I thought it may work. On the recipe site it indicated that one should use Morton's cure,then when I clicked on the alternative it brought me to the basic cure.What is my objective? to make an awesome CB.
Thanks for your help,
Brad
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

BigJohnT

I gave up on making my own cure and got a bag of Morton's Tender Quick for a couple of dollars and use this recipe. I'm fixing to slice some here and a few so grab a beer and come on over and you can taste some. IMHO think it is awesome and is light years from store bought CB.

JT

Brad Stab

Thank you BigJohn,

I appreciate your knowledge,
Brad

Habanero Smoker

Hi Brad;

I was not sure if your were making the Basic Dry Cure as it is presented on the recipe site, or if you were just going to make up a small batch for only the loins you have now. Since you have your own basic cure, and you have been using it and already know how it measures, continue to use that. If you want to smooth out the salt taste a little, and up to one half the volume in sugar.

It sounds like you have more then enough experience to make awesome CB. I feel it is one of the easiest bacon's to make.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Brad Stab

Thanks HS,

Actually I decided to make Tasso, I want to make some jambalaya next week.
Brad