First smoke in the new unit

Started by jaredpost, November 02, 2009, 09:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredpost

I got a good deal on some pork butts so I decided to go with pulled pork for my first smoke. I was kinda lazy this time and didn't brine it like I normally do. Put a dry rub on it and let it set overnight in the fridge. It must have turned out pretty good since I bought 14 pounds of butt and almost all of it was gone the same night it finished (halloween party).

This is about 10 hours into the smoke. Took about 20 hours total but forgot to take pictures of the final product before it was devoured.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Looks like you got that bad boy smoker working, nice looking butts.

So what was the fix with the smoke coming out the generator ?

classicrockgriller

Great looking butts and a AWESOME smoker.

Talk about smokin some jerky. Is that 30 racks?

jaredpost

Quote from: OU812 on November 02, 2009, 11:34:59 AM

So what was the fix with the smoke coming out the generator ?

I didn't see nearly the smoke leakage when it was heated up. I'm going to bend the drip shield up as well and see if that will help keep the smoke from leaking when I'm cold smoking.
Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 02, 2009, 11:53:45 AM

Talk about smokin some jerky. Is that 30 racks?

Jerky is on the top of my list to try next. There is room for a ton of racks but probably won't get too many unless I can find a cheaper place to buy them. The one I do have I got from sausagemaker.com and was just over $50 after shipping. They are 18 X 21 sheets and have 3/8 inch holes. If anyone has a cheaper place to get something like these then please let me know.

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking pork butts there JP. Glad to hear your first smoke went well and you will get that bad boy dialed in!  ;D

Here's a link to Allied Kenco. They have some racks that might work for you. Keep us posted.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/40_353
HawkeyeSmokes

jaredpost

Thanks for the link HawkeyeSmokes. They have some that should work. I also saw they had a 4" smoke stack with a damper on it that I might consider getting as well.

watchdog56

You might wan to check out some of those appliance recycle places and see if they have any old oven racks you could cut down. I would think that would be a lot cheaper.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: watchdog56 on November 02, 2009, 04:24:56 PM
You might wan to check out some of those appliance recycle places and see if they have any old oven racks you could cut down. I would think that would be a lot cheaper.

That would work to if you can find the right ones. Just don't use any from a refrigerator as the plating isn't designed for the heat.

JP, if you need a damper in your vent, one of these might work. If you can find the right size for the vent you have. Guessing you have a 4" now.

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID=64&SKU=429245&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=FREECSE&utm_term=429245&utm_content=6790&utm_campaign=DATAFEED

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkk/R-100396928/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

What is the width of your racks? I too will keep my eyes open as I do a lot of work around commerical kitchens.

jaredpost

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 02, 2009, 11:34:39 PM
What is the width of your racks? I too will keep my eyes open as I do a lot of work around commerical kitchens.

They are 18 inches wide and can be up to 26 inches deep.

classicrockgriller

OK, and I'm sure you want SS. Will keep my eyes open for ya.

classicrockgriller

jared, kinda been thinking about your smoker and just a few thoughts.

The Bradley racks are 15 inches (that is tip to tip, or side to side),
you will need a little for hanging on so say 14 inches. If you could find some metal to put
on one side of your smoker racks to close that distance you could get 4
bradley racks for about $30. Just a thought.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the piano player. ;D

That is an awesome looking smoker.

mrdennisg

I like your smoker What is heat source I missed that?

Any other images?

classicrockgriller