Bark on the Butts/Brisket

Started by hawsfli, February 10, 2004, 08:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

Fuzzy,
Here are the ingredients from one of the easier rub recipes from S&S.
3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons cayenne
Of coarse any of this can be adjusted to personal taste.I used this on a Pork Butt once and liked it.Good luck with your Butt[:)]. As I type this I have one in the smoker. put it in at 7:30 this morning, plan on leaving it there for 10 hrs. I didn't use this rub though I made one up of my own.I'll be sure to post the results.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Thanks Jack...do you think this would be to spicy for gramma?  She can't take the heat!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Fuzzy Dude,

Just smoked two butts this past Sunday night.  (had some friends have their home burn and gave them one).  May I suggest when you get your butts ready to come out, rap them in foil then rap them in an old bath towl for at least two hours.  Buddy this WILL make a difference.

Got the report back from my freinds yesturday, they loved it.  It is so fun to give someone something that they really enjoy.  Butts are so easy and it seems you have slaved for hours and it sure beats another bean casarole.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Bassman

Mr. Mallard, What is the purpose in wrapping a towel around the Butt?

Mr.Fuzzy, It might be to hot for Gramma,This recipe has quite a zing to it,at least for my taste it does,I like some zing but not alot. you can cut back on the cayanne if you want to.or adjust it anyway you like.
Jack

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />Good luck with your Butt[:)].<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Amazing how as we get older, our priorities change, huh?[:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Yeah, Although habeneros would be fine for me, gramma can't take the heat so I'll just eliminate the cayenne altogether...I can't wait for SUnday morning at 5 a.m to warm up the Bradley , the in goes the pork.
Dinner at 6!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Yesterday I made a 6lb pork butt.bought it with the bone in but removed it before I applied the rub. smoked it for 9 1/2 hrs with hickory.Internal meat temp was 185F when I removed it.covered it and let it sit for an hour before I very easily shredded it apart with 2 forks.TOTALLY AWESOME!!!best one yet![:p][:D][^]very moist inside with excellent flavor.
Here's a question,I have heard that meat will only absorb smoke for 4 to 5 hrs. Is this true? has anybody else heard this? Even after 9 1/2 hrs of smoke it was not over powering. Maybe I just like alot of smoke flavor[:D]

Jack

Fuzzybear

I wish it were Sunday already!!! - it appears that as more of us do the butt thing, internal temps of 185 to 200 seem about perfect...still, that's a huge discrepancy - I'm thinking that the 185 meat is still cooking after short time after taking out of the Bradley...since my dinner party will be requiring food promptly at 6:00pm on Sunday, if I put it in at 6 a.m. - it should be done around 4PM, enough time to let it sit - mines a 6lb bone in.

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Fuzzy,The books say the internal meat temp will rise 5 degrees AFTER you remove it from the heat source. At 185F I took it out which means The temp was actually 190F.Although I didn't check it,at that point I didn't care I just wanted to tear into it. I think the 185 mark is needed so that the pork will shred.Anything above that is for the patient. Which doesn't include me[:)]

Jack

trout

I can honestly say that I have never checked the internal temp of a pork butt after smoking about 10hrs at 200-225F.  In my opinion it is just like cooking a roast in a crock pot all day while you are at work.  The internal temp is going to be way past done, but it will be super tender because it was heated slowly causing all the fat and connective tissue to break down leaving fall apart tender meat.  The first pork butt I did on a traditional pit I monitored the temp and removed it at 185F or so.  It was o.k. but it didnt fall apart like the ones I make now.  My guess is it came to temp too quickly.[:(!]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Fuzzybear

Are we a bunch of pork piggies or what?[:D]

Bassman:  Like you, sniffing the aroma of meat cooking all day will tempt my patience too!

Low and slow is the way to go

Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Bassman,

I got this little novel idea from someone from the Arizona BBQ Assoc.  He did say why but this my thought:  When you wrap it with foil it doesn't let any moisture out and when you wrap it with a towl I beleive it just keeps the cooking process going for a longer period of time.  This guy that sugested this even puts the wrapped butt in a (non-cooled) cooler.  All I know is that the butts I do this way simply are the most tender and most complimented peice of meat I have smoked.  It works well for me.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Fuzzybear

Ok pork buddies....I used Bassmans' (Jack) recipie omitting the cayenne pepper but I kinda eyeballed all the ingredients save the onion powder...didn't have any...but that's ok (by the way, I am using that uppity snooty salt stuff from France[:D] and brown sugar)....I put the rub on about 2:30pm PST and will fire up the Bradley tomrrow approximately 5:00a.m.PST to pre-heat, then will unwrap the butt (6 pounder-bone in) and place in the smoker at 6:00a.m.pst...

I will be using 5 hours of apple pucks - I will take a digipic and place on Old's site (thanks man) and then post here later tomorrow night (after dinner!)

The grape is having it's effect and I apologize for spelling errors![|)]

I can't stand waiting overnight to fire up the Bradley![;)]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

Ok,...I'm embarresed to say I have not uploaded the pics yet - unfortunately, they are "after dinner" as I couldn't wait to tear into the butt[:p]  So, what you will see are two plates consisiting of "leftovoers" when I get them up. [:D]

The 6 pounder was in the Bradley for 11 1/2 hours!!  I yanked it at 5:15 pm PST at 183 degrees (internal), let it rest for 45 minutes and am proud to say that my first attempt at the butt was excellent - we fed four people and I've got lunch today with still some left over!

It had an excellent, dark bark that tasted every bit as good as what it was holding inside.

The Bradley waffled between 200 and 245 and I had to keep adjusting the temp to keep it as close as possible to 225 (which I was pretty successful at but had to eyeball it dang near every hour) - temp fluctuation was due to (1) 6:00a.m low temp of about 58 degrees, mid-afternoon temp around 79 degrees[8D] and late afternoon temp around 70 degrees (outside) along with a little bit of wind.

I'll be doing this again for sure!  Next week is a whole buzzard - probably in the 10lb range...I'm thinking I'll handle it like the yard bird....160-165 in the breast/180 in the thigh, dry rub overnight, maple pucks - I expect this venture to take between 6 and 8 hours...

Keep smokin!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Fuzzy congratulations on your smoking success!can't wait to see the pics.[:p]

Jack