• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Disappointing recipe.

Started by RAF128, November 03, 2009, 09:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

On the weekend I was going to give my new BDS its first workout.    I wanted to do an elk roast.   I looked through my Bradley recipe book, which came with the smoker, and found a recipe for a boneless cross rib roast.   My elk roast was also boneless.    I mixed the marinade as per the recipe.   I even injected the roast with the marinade and also a combination of melted butter and garlic.    The roast sat for a day in the fridge and on Sunday morning brought it out,   patted it dry and let it sit to warm.   I preheated the smoker to 220 and then preheated the smoke generator.   I smoked with Cherry pucks for 4 hours and continued to cook for another 4 hours until the internal temp of the meat reached 160.
The meat was tender, slightly pink (I think from the red wine) but I had no real taste.   With all the spices and smoke I was expecting a lot more.   In fact it was kind of bland.   

Roadking

I did a whole hind quarter from a Mule deer I got in Wyoming it dressed out at 243 lb. without hide. I also was disappointed will never waste good venison again in a smoker. The combination of the game meat and smoke just didn't do anything for me. Bitch of the thing I was warned by the outfitter and the butcher in Gillette.

ArnieM

I'm really sorry to hear that RAF.   >:(  I've never done elk before so I can't speak from experience.  Cherry, though, is fairly light and sweet.  I would have gone for at least oak, if not hickory or even mesquite.  The oak seems to work pretty well on beef.  I'd assume the elk is a bit more gamey even though they graze.  If you do try it again and are still disappointed, well, then you know what not to do.  I will brine or marinade but I don't inject so I have no experience there either.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

RAF128

Elk isn't particularly gamy.   At least if it was a clean kill and meat properly cared for.   I think there was too much wine and not enough of the other spices.   Next time I'll try a rub.

aces-n-eights

RAF, sorry to hear your elk roast didn't turn out the way you wanted.  My buddy did a moose roast a while ago in his Bradley, using a similar marinade - he did not inject, tho - and it was really good.  I don't recall his cook times, but i'm pretty sure it was less than yours.  His was fairly rare in the middle.

My first impression when i read your post was that 4 hrs of smoke and a total 8 hrs of heat seems too much, altho you hit a reasonable IT.  I don't know the size of your elk roast.

I know i'm not helping you much, but just want to encourage you to keep experimenting.  I'm confident you will hit a combination that works for you!

US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Smokin Soon

I really think that it was the Elks fault, not yours. You did everything proper, so don't blame yourself or the equipment.
Elk steaks, and roasts are not even in the same league with venison. Elk roasts are usually the "bomb" any way they are cooked. Could be just a unhappy Elk!