Chicken advice

Started by Brad Stab, November 03, 2009, 10:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

I'm brining a 3# bird for about 3/4 hours. I was going to rinse, dry and then apply a rub. Wrap overnight then smoke tomorrow for ???? hours and temp? Also has anyone ever smoked a bird beer can method?

Does this sound like i'm heading in the right direction? Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad
PS I'm using apple wood.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Brad Stab on November 03, 2009, 10:56:53 AM
I'm brining a 3# bird for about 3/4 hours. I was going to rinse, dry and then apply a rub. Wrap overnight then smoke tomorrow for ???? hours and temp? Also has anyone ever smoked a bird beer can method?

Does this sound like i'm heading in the right direction? Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad
PS I'm using apple wood.

I've done that, sans the beer can.

Comes out great.

The beer can is just going to add to it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Brad,

time is of no essence here you would want to smoke / cook it until it reaches an IT of 165 F then you can take it out. For most, this way would not be good enough for the skin and therefore they finish it on the grill or in a broiler. However, I have read here some threads where they have smoked and finished checke at 250 and the skin was good. Have not tried that yet but will do as soon as I get back from my business trip that get prolonged every day.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Hopefull Romantic

Sorry Brad I meant to also recommend you try the beer can way where you drink half a can of beer, then add your fovorite spice to the rest of the beer. I also add a couple of TBS of melted butter to the beer (just make sure the beer is room temp or it will erupt like a volcano) and the place the chicken on the can and smoke it.

Apple is good but I would add a couple of hickory to that.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Brad Stab

Thanks HR, I was planning to finish it in my convection oven to crisp up the skin. I think I may take the bird out of the smoker at 150/155f to allow  for the oven and carryover cooking.

Thanks HR and LBR

ArnieM

That's a pretty small bird Brad - normally known as a broiler/fryer.

I'd probably pull it at 135-140, if that's the breast temp, and then go into a 400-425 degree oven (on convection) to finish it off.  The skin takes some time to crisp.  Also, being a small bird, it will dry out if roasted too long.

I prefer apple on chicken (no offense HR).
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Brad Stab

Thanks Arnie, it is a mall bird, but I buy organic free-range birds and thats how they generally come. The roasters in the markets are so pumped full of crap, I really dislike their flavor. You are right about the temp. I'll pull earlier.
Thanks,
Brad

ArnieM

Brad, a smaller bird is tough to roast and get all of the parts to come out right.  I'll typically cut up a small bird, soak it in buttermilk for a while, then flour-coat it and throw it into the deep fat fryer.  Thighs and drums go in first.  Pretty good "southern fried" chicken.

If you want to see a nice oven stuffer, check out Carolyn's post here.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12232.0
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

I would not wrap it, but leave it unwrapped and let in air dry to form a pellicle (until the skin feel tacky to the touch). That helps the smoke penetrate better, and provides a little more moisture protection.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Brad Stab

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 03, 2009, 02:16:40 PM
I would not wrap it, but leave it unwrapped and let in air dry to form a pellicle (until the skin feel tacky to the touch). That helps the smoke penetrate better, and provides a little more moisture protection.

Thank you Habanero.

Brad Stab

Quote from: ArnieM on November 03, 2009, 01:10:01 PM
Brad, a smaller bird is tough to roast and get all of the parts to come out right.  I'll typically cut up a small bird, soak it in buttermilk for a while, then flour-coat it and throw it into the deep fat fryer.  Thighs and drums go in first.  Pretty good "southern fried" chicken.

If you want to see a nice oven stuffer, check out Carolyn's post here.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12232.0

Thank you for the link Arnie, It's so cool to see what people are doing, and how sustainability plays a roll.

Brad Stab

Chickens in the smoker, brined for 6 hours and rubbed, left un-wrapped overnight and butter/rosemary beer can in it's popes nose. I'll let you no the results.
Thanks for your help.
Brad