Salt

Started by Brad Stab, November 03, 2009, 02:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

Want to smoke some, never have. Tips??

TIA,
Brad
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

Farmer Tonn

I've had great luck smoking course sea salt.

Line your shelves with linen or cotton and bring it slightly up the side. This way the smoke will circulate and the salt will stay contained. Pour in sea salt to +/- 1/2 inch deep. The deeper the salt, the longer the smoke. I leave the middle and top shelf out because otherwise things tend to stall.

4-6 hrs, 125 degrees, alder and cherry are nice. Have tried hickory, but don't like the harshness of the smoke in the salt. Gently stir the salt a couple of times during the smoking.

I use it when making beans for my vegetarian / kosher friends. Tastes like there is ham in it, but is allowable. Good luck.

Brad Stab

Quote from: Farmer Tonn on November 03, 2009, 03:08:32 PM

I use it when making beans for my vegetarian / kosher friends. Tastes like there is ham in it, but is allowable. Good luck.

Great idea, I have never thought of that.
Thanks for the info and instruction.
Brad

squirtthecat

I used some commercial Bunn coffee filters, they let the smoke through and held everything in place nicely.

The salt is a little thick here, as my other racks were full of peppercorns/paprika, peanuts, and some cheese.  Next time I'll do 2 racks of salt.  (I did stir it around a bit once or twice)

I used about 2.5 hours of oak, as this was my first try.   It all turned out good.

Take out the v-tray for more direct smoke penetration, and put a big pan of ice in the bottom.

Brad Stab

Wow!!! so you cold smoked the salt? or did you hot smoke and balance with the ice?

Thank you very much,
Brad

ArnieM

Brad, I believe squirt did a cold smoke here.  The cabinet heater is off.  The SG can get the temp up some but the ice helps to keep it down.  When it's in the 30's to low 40's outside you probably wouldn't need the ice.

There are quite a number of posts here on how to go 'outboard' with the SG so it doesn't contribute any heat.  It's getting into winter here so I'm looking forward to quite a bit of cold smoking.  The smoked cheese is great.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Brad Stab on November 03, 2009, 04:30:01 PM
Wow!!! so you cold smoked the salt? or did you hot smoke and balance with the ice?

Thank you very much,
Brad

Arnie has you on the right track. 

I did cold smoke all of that.  The cabinet was off (unplugged to make sure), and the only heat was from ambient heat and the smoke generator...  Even then, the smoker temps reached almost 80. 

hal4uk

I stole some of Squirt's smoked salt (while I was stealing his Bacon salt)...
(don't y'all tell him)

It's goooood.  Great on steaks.

If y'all need anything, steal it from Squirt
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby