• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Probe

Started by Brad Stab, November 04, 2009, 09:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

Question for you.

When you use a digital probe inserted in  your protein were do you run it from? What I mean is do you run it through the vent, or the door? I hope this makes sense.  :-[
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Brad Stab on November 04, 2009, 09:09:04 AM
Question for you.

When you use a digital probe inserted in  your protein were do you run it from? What I mean is do you run it through the vent, or the door? I hope this makes sense.  :-[

Through the door.   The seal is still plenty tight around it.

The probe for my temperature controller is snaked through the vent, however. (just easier that way)

westexasmoker

Ditto here...through the door.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Brad Stab

Pachanga

I go through the vent.  I am sure the answers above are good methods and may make it easier to remove or change baskets if you have the probe on an item at the bottom and others cooking up top.

Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

FLBentRider

Door, vent... I've done it both ways.

If there is a lot of meat in the smoker, the door is easier, when rotating racks, etc.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I go through the door

classicrockgriller

I also go through the door.

Brad Stab

Ok, Door/Vent it is  :)
Thank you,
Brad

Habanero Smoker

I go through the vent. For most meats I generally don't insert the probe until the last stages of cooking. That way if you need to rotate you don't have to deal with the probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Habs,

That is a better explanation than I gave.  The probes do not go in until the last so I have never been bothered by the wires hanging down front.  I have also run the wires behind the racks. That makes for a clean front. I normally plan on the bottom rack coming out first.  This is one of those things that is not set in concrete and can be changed even in mid smoke.  One of the best investments I have made is in non porous silicon mitts.  I use them to protect what is left of my scared hands when moving probes and pulling racks or meat. They wash easily and are multitaskers.

Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

Brad Stab

Thank you all, inserting the probe later in the process makes sense on multiple levels. Least of which of lose of juices.

rdav01

Is there a certain kind to buy? i have bought the 6 rack digital but would like to get a probe for IT instead of opening the door all the time to check it?

classicrockgriller

I would suggest the Maverick -73.

It is a dual probe, one for an accurate cabinet temp, one for meat IT

And if you leave the probe alone, you don't lose that much juice.

Pachanga

I use the following maverick which appears to be the same as CRG.  

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediChek-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49

I am not thrilled with some of the features and setup but it works fine and has for three or four years of intense smoking.  It is not user friendly in my opinion.  I also use a backup digital  just to make sure.  There are instructions for modification on the Bradley recipe site for longer remote distances.

I check all probes in boiling water and ambient temperature for accuracy prior to each smoke.  Just immerse the tip of the probe in the water.  Do not dunk up to the wire or you will be purchasing a new probe.

Pachanga