Type of wood for smoking cheese.....

Started by Stilly, November 05, 2009, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Stilly, if you're smoking fairly firm cheese, 80-90 in the cabinet should be fine.  I like it at that temp.

Now, going totally off-topic.  The Bradley Smoker is an appliance, isn't it?  Why do we do all of this strange stuff to get it to work the way we want it?  There are no forums for my fridge or range telling me how to add ducting, fans or cardboard boxes to get it to work.  I think we're kind of a strange lot.  I dunno.  Maybe that's where the fun comes in.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Stilly

We're all mad scientists trying to achieve yum-yum greatness!!

And your right.... The range and fridge is not nearly as fun

:D

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on November 05, 2009, 09:57:30 PM
There are no forums for my fridge or range telling me how to add ducting, fans or cardboard boxes to get it to work.  I think we're kind of a strange lot.  I dunno.  Maybe that's where the fun comes in.

QuoteWe're all mad scientists trying to achieve yum-yum greatness!!

Ditto to both...    "Microwave ovens have no soul"

Quarlow

I think the devil only cooks with micrwave ovens. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on November 06, 2009, 08:13:44 AM

Ok, last OT post, I promise..

Stilly

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 06, 2009, 08:20:36 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on November 06, 2009, 08:13:44 AM

Ok, last OT post, I promise..

Why do I have a feeling that STC was not talking about THE CROCKPOTS.  ;D ;D ;D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Stilly

I smoked the cheese on Friday at 80 degrees with 2 hours of pecan.

I'm sorry to say... I just tried it and it is horrible.

Is smoked cheese an aquired taste ?

I believe it's going in the trash:)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Stilly on November 08, 2009, 11:19:54 AM
I smoked the cheese on Friday at 80 degrees with 2 hours of pecan.

I'm sorry to say... I just tried it and it is horrible.

Is smoked cheese an aquired taste ?

I believe it's going in the trash:)

WHOOOOAAAAAAA HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!! DO NOT TRASH your cheese Stilly!!!!!! You need to wrap it in plastic wrap or vac seal it and put it in the fridge for 10 days. Then try it. If you just smoked it two days ago it probably still tastes like your licking an ashtray and is Damn Nasty. Wrap it or vac seal it and let it sit for the 10 days you will enjoy it a lot better after the resting period.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

oakville smoker

Stilly

I am not an expert but everyone says you need to wrap in plastic and age for about 30 days
I have a slab of cheddar I am getting to smoke when the weather cools off and that is what I will do.
2 hours of smoke and 30 days in a vac pac

Smoking is a sport and patience with stuff is not a virtue but a mandatory requirement
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

oakville smoker

Ten 5
Great minds must think alike.  I was posting the same thing while you were posting the same thing.....   LOL
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Tenpoint5

Stilly I forgot to add that I smoked some cheese on Oct 27th and I am just now starting to open a few of the packages and do some taste testing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!