Type of wood for smoking cheese.....

Started by Stilly, November 05, 2009, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stilly

So there I was, in front of the seemingly limitless selection of wood types at my local BBQ supply store contemplating what type of wood briquettes to purchase for smoking cheese.  I then thought about cold smoking salmon as well, so I wanted to choose one to fit both purposes.

I went with Pecan..... 

Comments/Suggestions?

=)

classicrockgriller

How long you plan on smoking your cheese?

Stilly

This being the first time trying it.....I dont know, 2 hours worth

classicrockgriller

I smoke mine 3hr and 20 minutes but I used apple.

I don't know that I would go much more than 2 with pecan.

Should taste great. Get to smokin that cheese.

No water in your pan, will cause steam.

Farmer Tonn

We cold smoke old cheeses with cherry briquettes for 2h 40 min and softer cheeses (mozz etc.) for 2 hrs. We've found that letting the cheeses age a little really mellows the flavours. Has anyone tried smoking brie? Ours tasted like.... like..... like..... well you know, even after aging. I'd love to hear what others have found.

FLBentRider

I have used Apple and Maple for at least three hours on cheese.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

I mainly use apple on cheese but also oak and hickory. I do a lot of cheese and everyone likes the apple. I like Alder for fish, its a little milder and will also work for cheese. I have not tried pecan but would think it to be between apple and hickory. I think it will work fine.

ArnieM

I've only used apple on cheese so far and it's good.  I've heard that alder is kind of Alaskan-traditional for salmon but I haven't done any yet. 

Basically, you can smoke longer with a milder wood.  And, don't forget to wrap it and let it rest for at least 10 days.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

CRG,
Gonna have to disagree with you on one point.  If you're cold smoking cheese, water in the pan.  Very little steam will be created from the pucks falling in the pan.

Just my opinion mind you.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on November 05, 2009, 06:13:32 PM
CRG,
Gonna have to disagree with you on one point.  If you're cold smoking cheese, water in the pan.  Very little steam will be created from the pucks falling in the pan.

Just my opinion mind you.

KyNola

;D    I probably should keep my mouth shut since that was my first cheese to smoke.  I have read it in a past post and I think that the person who made the statement said they smoke between 80 and 120 lbs of cheese a year that they don't use water and that they just reomove the spent pucks every 40 minutes or so. Now this could have been a dream. ;D

Ky Nola, we don't have to agree on everything, if we did life would be dull.  ;D

Tenpoint5

I have used Hickory and Pecan when I do cheese. I leave the water in the bowl and I put a full tray full of ice in there as well never had a problem with steam.  Also have a few ice cubes in the water bowl as well to keep it cold.

CRG you are right we don't always agree on everything here. But as long as we all agree to that, we will do just fine and enjoy lots of great food.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

I'm glad that we now all agree that we don't agree on anything.   ;D

Water in the bowl puts out the pucks as it was designed to do.  Neither that not an ice tray is going to steam anything because the cabinet temp is typically 90 or less.  Keep the vent open to release any moisture.  Heck, I'm not sure why there is an adjustable vent.  I usually run wide open on everything.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Stilly

I rigged up one of those cardboard box cold smoker thingies....I dont think im gonna need the ice.  It should be about 50 degrees tomorrow in philly so the temp should not be a worry.

classicrockgriller

If it is 50, you may not need the box. I think we all agree that you want your cab temp to be between 70 and 90.

classicrockgriller

I did mine the other morning and started about 45 degrees and never got above 86 in the box with no ice.